Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phelark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Twisting Nether.
My uncle wants to get into recording on his Mac. He has an AGP G4 Tower, 450 MHz. Now, we want to be able to do some decent, semi-pro quality hoo-hah here. So, 1) What upgrades (Processor, sound card) do we need to get it to work well, 2) What programs do we need to start up, and 3) What type of microphones will work well?

Any and all help is VERY appreciated, the sooner the better.

-Phelark

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
How pro does he want it? For some decent recording you can get iMic and Spark ME (free).

Multichannel audio will probably require a sound board and a multichannel sound card. As I've had little expertise in this area, I cannot provide links because I just don't know where to find them. Sites like MacWorld or MacAddict may have some reviews.

1) Your Processor will probably function well, as you'll be spending more for a soundcard

2)TC Works makes good audio recording apps, and they do have Pro level equivalents to Spark ME.

3)Any microphone will do, however pro mics have that connector with the 3 knotches on it will be the best (I can't for the life of me remember what those connectors are called).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Schiffi

3)Any microphone will do, however pro mics have that connector with the 3 knotches on it will be the best (I can't for the life of me remember what those connectors are called).

XLRs

not surprisingly, one can spend anywhere from a little to a s***load of $$ for hard disk recording.

your uncle can get a nice setup for an additional $800. that will buy him a digidesign 001 -- a hardware unit (w/ analog/digital & digital/analog converters) that comes with software -- ProTools LE.

that system will allow up to 8 simultaneous inputs and a total of (i think) 32 audio tracks.

for about half that, he could get the MBox (same company), which provides two simultaneous inputs.

if he wants to record audio and do some MIDI work, he might think about Emagic's Logic program (now owned by Apple). that's just software, he'd still need the hardware unit.

once that stuff is bought, he can go nuts w/ outboard gear -- mic pre's, microphones, compressors. every (wise) purchase and competent use gets him that much closer to pro sound.

---------

here's my setup:

for audio, i record into either a Shure KSM32 or a B.L.U.E. Dragonfly mic. that plugs into a Mackie mixer (for the mic pre's, phantom power, and leveling). i take the direct outs of those signals into my Digi001. that translates the signal from analog to digital and gets it into my mac. there, i use either ProTools LE or Logic to record it.

if i want some synth stuff, I'll use a nice software package called Reason for that. i can export Reason sound files into Logic, then record live instruments alongside it.

to listen to it, the signal path comes back out of the Digi001 (which converts digital back to analog), into my Mackie mixer, then out to the powered speakers.

for more info than you can handle, go to OSX Audio

final notes: in general, you get what you pay for. also, nothing beats knowing your gear and being a good engineer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.