Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Hello all,

I would appreciate your opinion about a suitable soundbar for my Sony XD85 TV.
I don't want to spent more than say 500 Euros.
Any suggestions please?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Go to a store. Try a few ones at just under 500 Euro and those slightly more expensive. Short list the ones you really like and then look out for offers and refurbished/open box units with big discounts.

This way, you could scoop a 600-800 euro sound bar under 500 euros.

kurticus

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Chicago
Hello all,

I would appreciate your opinion about a suitable soundbar for my Sony XD85 TV.
I don't want to spent more than say 500 Euros.
Any suggestions please?

I have the Bose SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. It might be more than you want to spend ($699 USD) - but I can tell you it is impressive for overall sound quality, ease of use, etc. Plus it works great as a bluetooth/wifi speaker when not using it as a TV soundbar.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Just be aware SBs are, for the most part, 1-purpose speakers, works for TV and that it. If later on you want hook up your x-box, your dvd player blah-blah, most likely CAN'T.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Just be aware SBs are, for the most part, 1-purpose speakers, works for TV and that it. If later on you want hook up your x-box, your dvd player blah-blah, most likely CAN'T.

Utter non-sense.

My Yamaha Ysp2500 has three hdmi inputs with a sky box, apple tv and ps4 pro plugged into it. We specifically bought it for watching movies and the 7.1 arrangement works beautifully. The sound has phenomal presence while dialogues remain clear and objects well defined.

The system performs whether listening volumes are low, medium or high. I do own high calibre hifi equipment too e.g Dynaudio speakers and an Avi Laboratories Integrated Amplifier.

There are cheap soundbars and cheap 5.1 systems or those with the wrong equipment for the room size.

With soundbars you get what you pay for and top end ones have become very good alternatives if you don't want visible cables or speakers dominating the lounge wall. If you have a cinema/games room then by all means buy a multispeaker system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.