South Africa votes to confiscate white owned land without compensation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Feb 28, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Thoughts?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...n/news-story/a8a81155995b1adc1c399d3576c4c0bc

SOUTH Africa’s parliament has voted in favour of a motion that will begin the process of amending the country’s Constitution to allow for the confiscation of white-owned land without compensation.

The motion was brought by Julius Malema, leader of the radical Marxist opposition party the Economic Freedom Fighters, and passed overwhelmingly by 241 votes to 83 against. The only parties who did not support the motion were the Democratic Alliance, Freedom Front Plus, Cope and the African Christian Democratic Party.

It was amended but supported by the ruling African National Congress and new president Cyril Ramaphosa, who made land expropriation a key pillar of his policy platform after taking over from ousted PM Jacob Zuma earlier this month.

“The time for reconciliation is over. Now is the time for justice,” Mr Malema was quoted by News24 as telling parliament. “We must ensure that we restore the dignity of our people without compensating the criminals who stole our land.”

According to Bloomberg, a 2017 government audit found white people owned 72 per cent of farmland in South Africa.

ANC deputy chief whip Dorries Eunice Dlakude said the party “recognises that the current policy instruments, including the willing-buyer willing-seller policy and other provisions of Section 25 of the Constitution may be hindering effective land reform”.

ANC rural affairs minister Gugile Nkwinti added, “The ANC unequivocally supports the principle of land expropriation without compensation. There is no doubt about it, land shall be expropriated without compensation.”

Thandeka Mbabama from the Democatic Alliance party, which opposed the motion, said there was a need to right the wrongs of the past but expropriation “cannot be part of the solution”. “By arguing for expropriation without compensation, the ANC has been gifted the perfect scapegoat to explain away its own failure,” she said in a statement.

“Making this argument lets the ANC off the hook on the real impediments — corruption, bad policy and chronic underfunding. Expropriation without compensation would severely undermine the national economy, only hurting poor black people even further.”

Pieter Groenewald, leader of the Freedom Front Plus party representing the white Afrikaner minority, asked what would happen to the land once it was expropriated. “If you continue on this course, I can assure you there is going to be unforeseen consequences that is not in the interest of South Africa,” he said.

2. Populism, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

For the hat trick, the exodus will be called White Flight.

3. 0007776 Suspended

If it happens South Africa will follow Zimbabwe’s lead and go from being one of the top economies on the continent to somewhere near the bottom. Trying to distract from real problems by inciting racial conflict never works to improve situations.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Because this sort of plan work out so well for the people of Zimbabwe... I can see redistributing wealth, but confiscating property without compensation is a recipe for disaster (and violence).

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This is why you never intentionally inflict damage on folks when you're in power because the tide will eventually turn

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Each and every white farmer intentionally inflicted damage?

Then I guess it is understandable.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

None anymore I'd assume it's been 24 years.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

They're feeding the country, though.

Also, there's nothing stopping people from perceiving that you (or a distant ancestor, or people who look like you) did "historical" harm, which to them warrants harm to you... you know, for "social justice."

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I didn't say what they were doing was right.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

As the saying goes, two wrongs don’t make a right. This is a recipe for disaster.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2018 ---
    What’s to stop these farmers from destroying their crops and salting their land?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

That's funny right there... I don't care you are.

13. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Why are they in a place they don't belong in the first place.

14. 0007776 Suspended

Who are you saying is in a place they don’t belong? I would bet at least 80-90% of these farmers were born in South Africa, or at least in Africa as I’m sure some of them fled Zimbabwe when they tried this kind of thing.

15. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

They are literally an enclave in a predominantly black continent, different weather, culture, history, social development, etc. This things are bound to happen, specially considering the history of black-white relations.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a pretty big enclave if it contains 70% of the farmland.

17. 0007776 Suspended

So if they don’t look right should the fact that they were born there mean nothing? By your logic the US and Europe should start deporting all the blacks to Africa because those continents are predominantly white.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Berbers and North African Arabs might be offended too. Lots of enclaves, I think.

19. rafark, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

The west is a totally different culture regarding human rights. But it can happen. Remember 1940's?
    Of course I'm refering to Sub-Saharan Africa, really this is like saying water is not wet. You're splitting hairs here.

20. 0007776 Suspended

South Africa has been pretty good on Human Right’s since the end of Apartheid. Why do you think that they should reverse that progress?

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

This truly saddens me. I lived in SA when Rhodesia fell and became Zimbabwe. People, of many races, fled across the border as the Marxists seized power. Then they stole the land from the farmers and famine became the norm. Surely the politicos in SA and the the rulers of the ANC can remember those days and what happened? South Africa, (even during apartheid) was well fed and a virtual paradise. Thankfully, when apartheid was abolished (peacefully, much to my surprise) the people came together and had a reconciliation. I guess those days are over now that the corrupt Ramaphosa is in power. I dread the times to come, should these seizures come to pass. The descent of the South Africa I like so much will be rapid and devastating.

22. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Because of their context. SA is not an isolated island, they're not alone. Whites are a minority in a very troubled continent. There's always a risk in being there as a hated minority, and the OP is the proof of it.

23. 0007776 Suspended

So do you think that the west should go back on Human Rights as well and deport all of the blacks and other non whites so we can all have everyone in a racially pure context? That is where your logic leads.
    I would hope that if South Africa follows through on this all of the boycott South Africa Campaigns that happened during the Apartheid Era come back.

24. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Excuse me, how did you manage to get to such conclusion? The west is not Africa. These things are bound to happen in a less socially developed, oppresed continent. It's reality. There's really nothing more to it. It's like throwing kisses in a bikini in the middle east. You should be aware of the context you're in, and I think, in my very own opinion, white south africans are at a risk by being there. What happens in the US or EU is out of context.

25. 0007776 Suspended

Yet for some reason you seem to think that this is a good thing. If something is good somewhere it is good elsewhere.