South Carolina (127th in a Series)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SwiftLives, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. 184550 Guest

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which are?

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

6. 184550 Guest

A man that, one, had no visible income, two, is facing an obscenity charge, three, did not even run a campaign, four, did not even file papers with the FEC, five, is thought by some to be mentally unstable and, six, received an involuntary honorable discharge. On top of that, most of the senior democrats in SC suspect he was plant by the RNC to tip the fall elections in their favor.

Now, I know that some of you in England enjoy voting for atypical candidates, but surely you wouldn't vote, as you claimed above, for a man who emerged from waters as muddled as this.

NYT

Wikipedia

Why shouldn't they make dolls of that particular Democratic candidate?

There are Obama dolls, are there not? So why not action figures of this Democrat? I'd rather buy an Alvin Greene action figure than an Obama action figure. Greene is more black than Obama is, so he has the racial advantage right there and also, Greene served his country in the military, something which Obama has not.

I think that it's a brilliant idea coming from Democrats, and it's as likely to create jobs as Obama's plans are. It may even be less costly and less damaging for the USA in the long run.:)

8. SwiftLives thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

There's a lot of speculation that someone is putting Greene up to this. He originally accepted a public defender for his obscenity charge because he's unemployed and lives with his parents. Except somehow he was able to pay the $10,000 filing fee. And now he has a private lawyer.

No hard proof of anything. But definitely something fishy.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hmm, that does seem a little strange.

Lets see. Maybe its because he isn't "their" candidate - which is probably why the Guardian cut him some slack.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

People, people, people...everyone's missing the point with this thinking.

It's completely irrelevant whether he's a "plant," whether by the RNC or anybody else. It doesn't matter.

Democrats still voted for him!! It's not about who put him up to it - it's about the people who cast their votes for him, and now they're not happy about it!!

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

He was first on the list. :p

Idiot primary voters are in both parties.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Surely primary voters are pretty politically aware in general?

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Seems like they would be. I'm not sure I'd classify them as "idiots".

If he wants to create jobs by making toys of himself, just make sure to include the squeaker toy that the dogs like to rip out.

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I think this is the key, the people voted for him, not the establishment. The establishment is upset because they don't have in their mind " a minority of distinction ". Instead they have a regular guy doing what he wants to do and through dumb luck he landed the big fish.

As such they cannot control the message or perception. However the real perception coming forth is that the DNC does not suffer minority candidates who wish to be who they are. By that I mean, this guy is real. He has flaws. That isn't considered permitted in today's politics.

While I don't think he can win statewide, especially not with the vilification of members of the DNC who would howl "RACISM" if any Republican uttered the crap they are, I think he is the type of candidate that many Americans want.

Someone real, someone with flaws. We might not want that for a President but to many Congress is supposed to represent them and who better than one of them.

15. 184550 Guest

That's hilarious.

Typically people, particularly in the south, vote among party lines. The RNC or DNC could recommend a cat run for political office in SC, or elsewhere, and the cat would probably win; much in the same way this moron did.

16. 184550 Guest

How much do you want to bet 'the establishment' gave him that new, fancy lawyer he has now?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Elections quite possibly, but you can't vote along party lines in a primary.

Given he isn't a DNC candidate then that clearly isn't the case in primaries at the very least.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The same guy who advocated intelligence tests for voting (Jim Crowe) is now saying one black guy is blacker than another? Oh, and you're saying being commander in chief is less experience than some other position? Nice. Classy.

Of course Greene is blacker than Obama. Obama is 50% black, as one of his parents is white.

I wouldn't even consider Obama to be an African-American, because African-Americans are blacks who live in America who have descended from African slaves in this country, and that description does not fit Obama. Obama's wife, Michelle qualifies as an African-American, but Obama doesn't.

20. 184550 Guest

Yes, but regardless, you get my gist.

You don't think that it's safe to assume that the DNC would dictate or otherwise suggest their preferences for primary candidates?

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, African-American means an American citizen who descends from someone from Africa, which makes Obama an African-American. :rolleyes:

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh my GOD. Really? That's your position? Thank you for putting it out there for everyone to see, it helps me understand the type of person I'm dealing with, and explains your defense of Strom Thurmond.

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Obama grew up as a black person in America. Nuff said.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I do think the DNC would dictate their preference, and they fairly clearly supported another candidate.