South Carolina high school freshman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 24, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

inflammatory title courtesy of faux news. They do note at the bottom that the arrest/suspension was due to the students actions
    Anyways still seems extreme that the word "gun" causes such levels. If stupidity
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/2...man-arrested-suspended-for-using-word-gun-in/

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Zero tolerance...

Ever wonder why these stories nearly always feature white kids?

When I was in high school, I heard about murder, sex, drug dealing, kids singing NWA lyrics...no one ever got suspended.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The article? Sensationalist baiting. The subject matter? Stupid and paranoid. The comments section? Comedy gold!

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

5. chown33 macrumors 604

I know. The wanton killing of dinosaurs has gotten way out of hand. It's horrifying that people still capture them in the wild and sell them into the pet trade. If this keeps up, they could disappear in the wild, and maybe even become extinct. This is not a joke. You can tell it's real because I didn't put a "Satire" tag on it. And I wouldn't lie about a thing like that. Really.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

There is a famous director out there that was caught posing with one as a trophy.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The school needs to take (perceived) threats like this seriously. Imagine how everyone would feel if they did nothing and that guy's pet dinosaur actually ends up dead.

8. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The police didn't find any weapons on him or in his locker or bags, so they were unable to arrest him for that. They did arrest him for disorderly conduct because of his behavior after being arrested for threatening the dinosaur.

Can you blame the kid?

The note was written as part of a creative writing assignment. Also, the kid has an unspecified learning disability.

Here's the local article if you're interested

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Dino we hardly knew ye.
    [​IMG]

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

When I was in high school I was forced to take part in creative writing by a well-meaning teacher. I am not an artist, and I resented being made to 'express myself' when I didn't want to. Soo... some friends and I sat down over a few beers and wrote the most twisted, dark, post-apocalyptic story we could imagine. The story had no violence, just the inevitable outcome of nuclear war: lots of slow death from radiation sickness.

Mostly it was intended as a joke, but also as a protest about the assignment, but I wound up having to explain myself to a educational psychologist over three days of interviews before they would let me back into class. Ever try to convince somebody that you're sane? It's not so easy. The school would not accept that the story had been written by a group rather than me alone, and every minor infraction of the rules that I had committed since I was in elementary school was reinterpreted as a 'cry for help'. No amount of rational discussion could dissuade the school counsellors of this view...

11. dec. Suspended

dec.

:eek: Didn't "god" kill all the dinosaurs because they kept acting up and didn't get along too well with the people (aka "lunch")?

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I remember one day in high school, the VO-AG teacher grabbed a hay bale and asked if anyone had a knife. I think every boy in class reached into a pocket. Truthfully, growing up, I don't ever remember being without a knife. Yet, our school had zero stabbings. We had an occasional fight but no one brought out a blade and no one shot anyone.

Something has happened over the years to our youth and our schools. The youth have become more violent and the schools have become more paranoid. The sad thing is that I don't think it will ever turn back.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I bet you used to walk 5 miles in the snow uphill both ways too eh? :rolleyes:

Schools are not more violent, but I'm full agreement that this zero tolerance policy is ******** and making it seem like there are more issues. There is no reason to bring in police for simple instances that can be handled by a principle.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Depending on how far back you want to go in making the judgement...I would have to disagree. When I was in High School...even in the "tough" schools near me, there was the occasional fight, but not with weapons. There were gang "rumbles" outside of schools which, at times, included chains and knives...but pretty much never in the schools.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

While you joke about that. I walked to school in elementary school and it was 1.8 miles. In rain, snow, whatever. Imagine sending your five-year-old to walk to school, that far now. (There was a walk bridge over the interstate back then.) By the time I was in high school we moved to Palmrya Township, so thanks to a farm license, I could drive to school.

When I was in high school the worst thing that could happen wasn't the paddling from the principal… It was the phone call to my father. That has changed. Now, when a teacher gets on a kid, the parents blame the teacher.

Worst fight that I ever saw at school was when there was a bad call in the Southeast vs Lake Milton football game. Still no police needed to be involved and no one went to the hospital.

Attached Files:

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You know, we're on agreement on both of these. It's ridiculous in my town that anything over a mile and your kid HAS to take the bus, or get a ride every day. I've been walking at least 5 miles a day (leisurely I'll admit) since I was 10.

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes indeed! Punctuation and grammar has never been their thing:)

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have a friend who lives literally right next door to Pine Street Elementary in Conyers, GA. His property actually has a gate in the fence onto the school property. His children are required to ride a bus because they are in elementary levels. So instead of a one minute walk through a yard, they have to ride the bus for ten minutes as it goes around the block.

But it just isn't the schools, we as parents have changed, as well. When I was a kid, in the summer, I left the house at first light and came home when the street lights came on. My parents didn't need an iPhone to reach me. We climbed trees, we played King of the Hill. If we got in a fight, we dusted off and carried on. We rode our bicycles off rickety ramps. No helmets, no pads. If we'd have come out wearing a helmet on a bike, we may as well of painted it pink!

[​IMG]

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Don't know what to say about this. And without reading the entire "essay" this kid wrote - and the context of what the assignment was - its hard to really judge.

Schools are put in a very difficult position: Every incidence of school violence or shooting prompts yet another round of soul searching and ramped up security. So any threat, no matter how vague or ancillary has to be taken seriously.

But sometimes this leads to ridiculous consequences and false alarms. I remember several years ago casually mentioning to a co-worker that I needed to buy a new raincoat. A female office worker heard this and concluded that this was a reference to the Columbine School shooters who were (I found out later) involved in something called the "Trenchcoat Mafia" - and that I was planning on going on a workplace shooting spree. So I was more than a little shocked to get pulled over and arrested coming back from lunch. It took a couple of hours for my lawyer to get me out of jail - but I never got an apology from the cops, the company, or the woman who concocted this ridiculous fantasy.

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Steven Spielberg killed it after the shooting of Jurassic park, he may have used a gun.

Attached Files:

21. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

Why are people so concerned with political correctness? Like why is it such a big deal?