South Carolina lawmaker wants separate currency for the state.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Feb 14, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I bet some people in Texas wants it too - which they won't get until Texas separates completely from the U.S.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Add this one to the pile of crackpot would-be legislation states are hoping to pass.

It's getting to be quite a mountain.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Try spending SC currency in IL and see where that gets you... :eek:

LOL...

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is another example of the insanity the last election has left us with. It's gonne get more stupid, trust me.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They need to hire Jared Lee Loughner as a consultant, he knows a lot about currency.

9. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

every day crap like this baffles me. it seems like people find more and more ways to be dumb. it never ends, you'd think it would have to but it doesn't show any sign of stopping. it seems to be multiplying

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Republicans at both the state and national level are firing bill after bill at us, but they are shooting blanks. If both parties engaged in these pointless tactics, no laws would ever be passed.

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Oh hush it :D

This really has no chance of happening. I mean, we'd need to have a solid crazy Republican Statehouse and Senate, along with some fairly insane Republicans elected to pretty much every possible state office. And the chances of that happening are miniscule. I mean....

...what's that?

You want me to look at the 2010 state election results.

Well, okay. Looking over them now. All I see is a bunch of "R"s next to people's nam...OH DEAR GOD WE'RE DOOMED.

In all seriousness, this won't happen. It's just political posturing and one of the latest right-wing memes. Rather than fix the economy, we should change our currency. Georgia proposed something similar a few months ago.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Do these people realize how silly they sound?

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Isn't this more like the UK keeping their GBP in addition to the Euro?

These states will have their own as well as the USD?

Just wondering... :cool:

14. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

The UK never adopted the Euro, so there isn't a comparison.

15. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Luckily, when we lose faith in South Carolina (which this is no doubt accelerating), we have North Carolina as a "backup." :rolleyes:

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can assume many of the posters here have not even read the article.

BTW the title is very miss leading.
    What they want to do is research the possibility of making one in case of hyper inflation of the US dollar due to the debt level.

It is very different researching and doing it. Please make a note of that before you go pointless bashing.
    Do I think it is a waste of money to do it yes. Do I think some people are just looking for a reason to bash the GOP yes. Also please do not lump all GOP in because of a handful like this. I see some post here that are nothing more than looking for a reason to bash.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'd use the Euro, honestly. Or the Swiss Franc.

You know, nothing is stopping a citizen from doing business in gold and silver. One does not have to use a US banknote.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Conversely, try getting anyone from outside SC to wander in and exchange USD for the local currency. Hyperinflation would be instantaneous.

Zimbabwe just ditched their own currency (Zimbabwean dollar) in favor of the US dollar on the grounds their own dollar was worthless, and pretty much has been since 2008. That’s when they actually printed a hundred-trillion dollar banknote, which the Daily News piece said was good enough to buy a weekly bus pass.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/zimbabwe-ditches-worthless-currency-dollar-article-1.2256966

Anyway in Zimbabwe from Monday forward, the official exchange process for the transition until September --for people with an ordinary amount of local money-- is that you get five bucks for having up to 175 quadrillion local dollars in your bank account. If you have more local money than that, your exchange rate is one USD for 35 quadrillion local dollars.

South Carolinians should email that news piece link to their legislative leaders.

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ugh! Been awhile since I've been here but not that long! Dazzled by the new layout, never saw that date (nor the post when it first showed up) and no clue how I managed to order viewing of the posts the way I did. Sorry. Mods can delete my bad... back to the learning curve for me.

21. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Why would they hire a Democrat like Loughner?