South Carolina: Where Men Murder Women and Legislators Don’t Care

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 21, 2014.

1. steve knight, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto..._homicide_in_south_carolina.html?wpsrc=fol_tw

Tuesday evening, the Charleston Post and Courier released a massive seven-part series on South Carolina’s failure to take domestic violence seriously—a failure that has resulted in the state leading the nation in the murder rate of women at the hands of men (currently the best measure we have for domestic homicide). The series, titled “Till Death Do Us Part,” is the result of interviewing “more than 100 victims, counselors, police, prosecutors and judges” to create a multimedia story chronicling the failures of legislators, law enforcement, social services, and even churches to do enough to fight the problem of domestic violence. Journalists Doug Pardue, Glenn Smith, Jennifer Berry Hawes, and Natalie Caula Hauff unflinchingly place much of the blame on South Carolina culture: heavily conservative values about marriage and gender roles, as well as an enthusiasm for guns that makes it nearly impossible to get them out of the hands of men who want to kill women.
    Amanda Marcotte Amanda Marcotte

Amanda Marcotte is a Brooklyn-based writer and DoubleX contributor. She also writes regularly for the Daily Beast, AlterNet, and USA Today. Follow her on Twitter.

South Carolina, they write, is a state “where men have long dominated the halls of power, setting an agenda that clings to tradition and conservative Christian tenets about the subservient role of women,” leading to “a tolerance of domestic violence.” Even though research shows that the murder rate from domestic violence “declines three months” after a couple has been kept apart and “drops sharply after a year’s time,” power players in the state frequently prioritize keeping couples together over victims’ safety.

For instance, the Post and Courier interviewed state House Minority Leader J. Todd Rutherford, a Democrat, about his refusal to support any bills increasing the maximum penalty for a first-time domestic violence offense, which is currently 30 days in jail. (The maximum penalty for beating a dog, the Post and Courier notes, is five years.) Rutherford “said such laws fail to take into account that many cases involve families that might be preserved,” arguing that women frequently drop the charges because they “realize the destructive consequences for the whole family.” Never mind that the belief that women are supposed to move heaven and earth to make their marriages work causes victims to stick by men they know are dangerous.

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

How you got that legislators don't care, and that it somehow is to blame on christianity is beyond me.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well I guess since is says that conservative Christan politicians won't pass laws like disarming men when they are accused and found guilty of domestic violence or pass laws that would protect woman from them.
    States that have mostly conservative christian politicians have the highest rate of death of woman from domestic violence.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

What does an experienced lawyer and legal scholar write about this type issue?

http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/158/articles/dershowitz3.htm

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps you should read the text you so carefully quoted. It's all in the article.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

And because the doublex contributor writes it, then it must be the causative factor?

I'd like you to explain that one.

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You might want to brush up on the Lautenberg Amendment. Little federal law...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_Violence_Offender_Gun_Ban

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

And this article, it is written by the bastion of truth and impartiality that is slate.com

A little about the author of the article:

Amanda Marie Marcotte (born September 2, 1977) is an American blogger best known for her writing on feminism and politics. In 2004 she won a Koufax Award for her blog Mouse Words. Time magazine described her in 2007 as "an outspoken voice of the left," and said "there is a welcome wonkishness to Marcotte, who, unlike some star bloggers, is not afraid to parse policy with her readers." Time also described Marcotte's blogging as "provocative and profanity-laced."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Marcotte

She sounds like a good person to get the unbiased truth from. I never should have doubted her :rolleyes:

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Cause that is his MO.;)

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Well yes, and my new MO is to call him out on it. I'll only have to respond to 4 or 5 post and run nonsense threads per day I figure.

11. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yep not going to be a christian apologist. nothing wrong with Christians as long as they stay out of others not try to run everyone's lives and convert them same as everyone else should treat others. When their faith hurts or causes otehrs to die I have a problem with it.

12. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'd still like some proof that the "christians" in your article are doing any of that.

Beyond the opinion of some lunatic blogger, of course. I want actual proof.

13. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

LMAO!!

You are quite the opposite

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, I think that you have made that quite clear in your post history.:rolleyes:

15. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Charleston Post and Courier.....LOL! It even makes a poor bird cage liner! :p

16. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

well you did ask for how Christianity hurts woman so I guess it is time to provide a bit of info. though google is your friend and it is easy enough to find.

this is just a tiny bit of course
    not including all of the laws the GOP have nto passed to protect women.
    http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/religion_and_domestic_violence.html

17. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Ask these women what they think...

Attached Files:

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Try again.

19. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

why? it is not my job to show you how traditional religion hurts woman. if you can't see it that's your choice. but realty is women suffer under traditional religion and that's a fact. There are far worse religions for woman but Christianity is not good for them either. it is just not as violent about it. They still don't have equal rights to men.

20. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Islam
    [​IMG]

Catholic
    [​IMG]

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I asked you for proof that christians in South Carolina are behind the problems your link talked about.

The lunatic ramblings of Amanda Marie Marcotte do not count as a valid source.

22. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

But think of the above examples where did it happen? pretty primitive faiths and places. but when we are said to be #1 in the world and the way woman can be treated here it is pretty pathetic. No woman should be treated badly because of faith. faith is very hard on woman all through the world.
    http://billtammeus.typepad.com/my_weblog/2014/03/3-28-14.html

Does our society treat women as second-class citizens in many ways? Sadly, yes. Can you trace the root of that prejudice back to religion?

CarterJimmy Carter (pictured here) thinks so.

Unequal treatment, he said in an interview with NBC's Andrea Mitchell about his new book, A Call to Action, "is really derived, I would say, indirectly from the fact that religious leaders say that women are inferior in the eyes of God, which is a false interpretation” of Scriptures.

Just as the Bible was misused to justify slavery for a long time, so it also has been misused to keep women down. (Well, gays, too, but that's another terrible story.)

Especially troublesome in regard to women is some of the writing attributed to the Apostle Paul, who in some of his letters to the congregations he helped to start says things about the role of women that need to be interpreted carefully so that readers don't immediately assume that women should shut up in worship services or that women are in all ways subservient to men, especially in marriage.

That's how Paul is misread as speaking to all congregations and people in all ages.

A pretty good rule of thumb is to be profoundly cautious of any interpretation of scripture that results in pain or subjugation of people instead of in love and fairness.

I think Carter is mostly right about this matter. And it's up to religious leaders to help members of their congregations understand the primary lessons of the Bible, which, as I say, are about the responsibility to love and not about power position arrangments.

Read more here: http://billtammeus.typepad.com/my_weblog/2014/03/3-28-14.html#storylink=cpy

23. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

if you want to learn how religion and the GOP have hurt woman do a little research. it is pointless for me to show you as you don't want to see. I bet there are thousands of blogs and web pages of woman telling how they are hurt by it. The info is out there if you want it. if you don't then what is the point of me showing you?

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I want to see, show me. I won't accept biased blogs as sources though.

25. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

If you want to see it find it. Mostly when I do a search I get abortion info. I am not going to try to find every law passed that hurt woman. it would be a lot of work. I don't need it proved to me I have read enough of women's reports of it's effects on them.
    http://www.vawnet.org/applied-research-papers/print-document.php?doc_id=411
    Violence Against Women and the Role of Religion
    there have been many news reports of the GOP voting against laws that protect or help woman.