South Park Episodes Pulled from iTunes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by telecomm, Apr 26, 2010.

1. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

So, I was waiting for my download of episode 201... and waiting... and waiting.

After having looked into it, it seems iTunes isn't releasing episode 201, and has pulled 200 as well. At least I got that before it was pulled. So much for "South Park: Uncensored." Not Quite. :mad:

2. iRance macrumors regular

Oh my god,they killed South Park
    You B*stards.

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

They'll probably bring them back once they finish bleeping out the entirety of the audio of every episode.

Ah, censorship! Where would our democracy be without you?

4. ZazenZach macrumors member

things like this that Apple does really p%sses me off.

I can understand the app store tooth and nail fuhrer, atleast in terms of making sure iPhone apps stay compatible and spyware free, but to censor the entirety of iTunes is just plain offensive.

5. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Episode 201 has aired on TV, right?

This is even more a slap in the face to people who bought a season pass to the now ironically titled "South Park: Uncensored, Season 14."

6. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

7. martynmc7 macrumors regular

You know they're probably doing this at the request of Comedy Central more than anything.

8. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yes, of course this was probably at the request of Comedy Central.

It doesn't really matter who did this, the point is that it shouldn't have happened. I (and no doubt many others) paid in advance for (again I quote) "South Park: Uncensored, Season 14," which, according to iTunes should include all episodes in the season and, unless "uncensored" is meant to be ironic, is meant to include those episodes uncensored.

Attached Files:

9. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Who said it was Apple decision? I would think Comedy Central pulled the episodes not Apple.

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

If Apple removed it without any orders, shame on them. If it was Comedy Central, I hope Trey Parker and Matt Stone withdraw South Park from Comedy Central. That will teach them a lesson.

I respect all religions, but I also strongly believe in freedom of speech. If Muslims don't like the episode, they must just not watch it. It is unfair that they can come to free countries like the USA and do and say what they want, but if we go to their countries we are heavily restricted. If they don't like countries with freedom of speech, they must just leave.

May all religious extremists die. Seriously. There's no place in the 21st century for them.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree this censorship crap needs to stop. I'm pretty sure it was comedy central, not apple since comedy central controls the content and apple just distributes it.

Caving into this muslim extremism needs to stop. I respect everyones religion and the extremists make the rest of the muslims look bad but no one should be pushing their beliefs onto anyone else. Religion is a personal choice, not a public one.

As for the very restrictive countries, I don't see how anyone could live like that. I work in the middle east and see the restrictions and I seriously don't understand how anyone could live like this their whole lives. The poor women have to wear garbs covering them head to toe, and some don't even get to uncover their eyes! (They see through a mesh).

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I agree, this is sad and we should all let comedy central/via com know how we feel.

I'd like to invite everyone to go back and watch part one of cartoon wars when buttars dad has a little speech about 'we should all draw muhammed...' it is the most ironic episode.

And if we 'season pass' holders don't get this episode I hope we get some iTunes credit. That is bull shniky.

(to note) the episodes in question were also pulled at netflix and amazon, most likely from the networks request and not that of Apples or our prophet steve holiness jobs (blessed be his name).

13. TechNutt macrumors member

I hate the censorship as much as the next man. :mad: Couldn't stand it with the 2 Live Crew days and still can't stand it! I believe the censorship is due to Comedy Central--not Apple.

Attached Files:

14. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Gosh, wouldn't this cause the death of most of the people in the middle of the country? Not to mention, who would Fox News look to as a demographic?

15. joshsfolder macrumors newbie

Gosh, you're right. We really gotta watch out for all those Christians hijacking planes and detonating suicide vests.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Comedy central censored the tv episodes and even made it at this time that those episodes will not be syndicated, aired, or sold.

Making false claim is just plain offensive.

17. nastebu macrumors 6502

Honestly, this kind of censorship is much less about worrying about al queda's sensitivities and much more about avoiding legal liabilities. If Comedy Central distributes something that later ignites some kind of bad thing--something gets burned down, someone gets hurt, or worse--they could well be legally liable for damages.

It's not cowardice--it's the reality of living in a society where you can sue for anything.

18. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

If this were the case, it'd be hard to understand why Comedy Central has aired any episodes of South Park. It's not as though South Park episodes are known for being inoffensive!

Also, even if people can sue for any reason (is this even true?), it's not exactly a good reason for altering corporate (or individual) behaviour. If your post made me so angry that I burned down a 7-11, the owner wouldn't get very far trying to sue you because you wrote something that made me so angry. :D

19. nastebu macrumors 6502

"sue for anything" is certainly an exaggerration.

I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I understand it you couldn't be held responsible for me burning down the 7/11 because it is an unforseeable event. If I publish something that could be construed as inviting an attack by people known to be violent, my liability might change.

Seriously, it sucks that Comedy Central is withholding a show out of the fear of violence, but given the reaction to the Danish cartoons, it is perfectly understandable. By publication, they are betting their employee's lives and property that nothing will happen, not only their own. I can see why otherwise not-intimidated people would hesitate, even if they were willing to risk a law suit.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

CC pulled them. The episode has been removed from PSN, XBL, iTunes, South Parks website and I doubt it'll be aired in the UK once we catch up.

But yea the whole thing is pathetic. You'd think that with all these atrocities to the Muslim people that all the extremist ones would have blown themselves up by now, Darwin and all that.

21. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

LMAO. :D I guess they're afraid Muslims pose a greater threat, eh? Cowards. Funny how they're not afraid to make fun of just about every other religion.

22. kolax macrumors G3

Sucks.

I read what Matt and Trey said about.. that they're always 100% behind every episode and they're fuming about the censorship.

Sucks that they can't even show the uncensored version.

Also, doesn't South Park air in Canada not long after the US airing? And it is usually completely uncensored?

23. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

tell me about it... the latest episode had approximately 3 minutes bleeped out annoyed the freaking crap out of me but i couldn't tell if it was Comedy Central or the Writers that did it lol

24. kolax macrumors G3

Comedy Central.

Muhammad wasn't bleeped in 201, but they bleeped it everytime in 202 because of the outrage after episode 201.

Apparently Kyle's speech was all about fear and intimidation, and didn't mention Muhammad or Muslim's at all and yet it still got bleeped.

Pretty ridiculous..

25. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

It probably got bleeped (the famous 'I learned something today...') due to it making a mockery of comedy central's censorship of the episode. They didn't want to be seen as such hypocrites to bleep everything out of intimidation and fear just to have Kyle, Jesus, and Santa Claus call them out on it.

Where's my damn iTunes credit?!?!?!?!?!?