Soylent Green is people

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Aug 16, 2010.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, time for me to check-out, before they come looking. :eek:

2. Queso macrumors G4

This is people? :confused: Shouldn't they cancel Cowes Week then?

[​IMG]

3. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Thanks. :eek:

Damn smell pecker.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's nasty. Hopefully, I'll be gone by then.

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep. First we'll fight over the remaining oil. Next it'll be the water. And that one's gonna get really ugly.

Oh, and Monsanto? They can go Cheney themselves.

7. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm talking more about the kinds of violence (up to and including large-scale military actions) that we see associated with the "awl bidness", although I certainly won't deny that water is a contentious issue right now.

Unfortunately for Americans there is no mention of a right to water in the US Constitution, thus it doesn't exist. I suppose it would be up to the Several States to grant us a Constitutional right to water, but I don't think my state does so, although I'm not sure about any others.

And any attempt by the UN to diktat to us what our rights are will of course be met with scorn by those with fears of black helicopters and jack-booted thugs taking their guns while forcing foreign water down their patriotic throats.

9. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that wanted to upchuck after reading that statement?

Though, this could possibly be more healthy than most of the meats we currently eat, especially if it can be engineered at ridiculously high protein percentages with lesser levels of cholesterol. I mean, how far away is petri-dish meat from Spam, hotdogs, etc.?

I'm sure lots will get done in the climate talks in Cancun. In between rounds of jell-o shots and getting airbrushed t-shirts.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    We don't need meat to feed the world. There are lots of vege protein sources. Tofu is massively tasty for example.

Generations brought up in a more GM and artificial food climate won't even blink at eating lab meat. Like anything, it's about exposure and and culture.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Say what? Tofu isn't tasty AT ALL, not without marinating it for several hours in something full of spices.

The thought of tofu on its own isn't exactly appealing :p

12. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Agreed. Tofu is terrible without something else making it good, perhaps the broth of a tasty meat (of the non-petri dish variety)?

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Silly man, if we'd only privatize and completely deregulate water, the Free Market would instantly supply clean water to everyone in the world. And if they didn't do so for a reasonable price, or at a safe quality, why then, consumers could always vote with their pocketbooks and refuse to buy or consume that particular product. It's all about choice and responsibility.

Of course, we would need some laws to prevent those consumers from undermining the legitimate water market by, for example, capturing rainwater or reprocessing their own urine. That might require some increased police powers, but it's all the water cheaters' fault, and if you're not a water cheater or a water cheater sympathizer you've got nothing to worry about. The War on Water Cheating is the sort of thing true patriotic Americans will be glad to pay for to protect their free American way of life.

I dunno. Depends on what they turned out. I'd give them a chance to convince me.

14. awmazz macrumors 65816

Possibly, but it just isn't natural. Mind you, turning chickens into paste and then resoldifying it to make McNuggets isn't far different to just growing the paste itself. It'll save millions of animals being tortured and butchered every day.

I remember something about the long protein strands in Monsanto sorghum makes pigs fed on it sterile. Which means hog farmers have to buy their piglets... from Monsanto.

15. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not that they are pigs, but an interesting method of population control in third-world countries. Mmmmmmmm....... :rolleyes:

Puts me in mind of a movie plot, of a guy trying to sterilise all the men in the World, save himself. Mmmmmmmm....... ;)

16. bamaworks macrumors 6502

It's actually quite different. You're getting all sorts of connective tissues, dark meats, etc. with the nuggets, however this artificial meat, in theory, would be near 100% perfect protein. Studies have shown that people who eat more processed meats have a higher risk for certain types of cancers and this could help alleviate such a risk. This should be taken with a grain of salt, however, as always with projecting the effects of a totally artificial substance it could prove to have greater negative effects than the status quo.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Loved the movie
    I even have it on DVD :eek:

My kids gave it to me cause I used to use that signature line on them all the time :)

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

This article has a lot to do with one of my favorite subjects--the Malthusian Scenario. This is the theory that states that while population increases exponentially, while usable resources increase in a linear pattern eventually leading to a very uncomfortable conclusion.

When the concept was first proposed in the 1800's the calculations Thomas Malthus made were accurate based on the given technology and usable land world wide at the time, the basic theory is still sound though needs almost constant adjustment for the advances in agriculture and living conditions today. We may be capable of holding back the final conclusion of this scenario as innovation allows but not indefinitely. No matter how far we are capable of stretching these resources with proper management this world is still mostly a closed system and no matter how efficiently we use it all we will eventually be led to 3 choices population control, migration to other worlds to further expand the system of resources, or do nothing while the world gets more and more uncomfortable and possibly leading to our extinction.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.

You are right, raw soggy tofu is pretty rank. But so is a bloody bit of flesh!

20. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

21. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Steak tartare and sushi are fine and dandy raw and soggy.:D

22. Queso macrumors G4

The way Hollywood works right now give it another year and it will happen.

Followed by Soylent Green 2 :D

23. Ttownbeast, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  24. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We need some krill farms.

Baleen (Blue, Great) whales seem to do quite well on that food source.

:D

Save the whales, eat the Japanese.