Space gray 5s touch ring not space gray

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joybulb, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Does anyone else feel the touch ID ring on the gray 5s was slightly misrepresented as being silver(space gray) to match the body of the phone like the other two colors? (Even the box for the space gray 5s represents the ring as more of a silver color) It's a first world problem, I know. But since I had to return the phone to sprint and reorder one from verizon, I switched to silver.

I'm assuming that the non matching ring was a product of some kind of limitation of the sensor ring.

2. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I have bigger worries than the color of my fingerprint sensor.

3. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Most ppl probably do, just seeing if anyone else noticed.

4. GALAGA macrumors member

GALAGA

I thought it would be like the picture in the box too lol, the ring is not even gray its black.

5. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

Although I've wanted the gold from the beginning, the relative blandness of the black phone's fingerprint sensor caught my eye right away. I think it would have looked much nicer if the ring was silver tbh.

6. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

I went with white over space gray for the same reason. The silver ring is just classy.

7. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

It's subtle, but if you look closely, the ring is the same color as the chamfered edge.

8. jerbeck24 macrumors member

It seems crazy, but I too did not get the space gray because of this. I like the look of the ring around the sensor, but on the space gray, you cannot even see it! I went with the silver for the same reason. Plus, I had the slate black iPhone 5 and was ready for a change anyway.

9. AFDoc, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

It's the light gleaming off the metal ring that makes it appear lighter in color. It's not showing a lighter/grey ring.

Light can do funny things including making people believe they should be getting a lighter colored ring.

Yep, funny things indeed... I'm pretty sure the pic on the box is computer generated and they probably lightened it so it "sticks out" so it could be "seen". See in the pic below part of the ring looks lighter color along with the edge..... all light playing tricks on your eyes.

As far as "picking" a color so the ring can be "seen" screams "Look at me and my new 5s! NO ITS NOT A 5, SEE THE RING?"

I for one would have no issue if it were a lighter color...... but don't care that it's not.

Attached Files:

10. Knowlege Bomb, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How about you take a break from the forum and take care of your "bigger worries" then? :confused:

I did notice the difference from what was shown on the box but I actually prefer it the way it is. I kinda feel like I'm back in the Batman camp with my black Apple case on. :D

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I got an even bigger problem. I can't tell if the ring on my gold is even gold. Can anyone help?

12. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

I'm very familiar with lighting and reflections, still all the marketing leading up to the release(whether because of light fooling my eyes or not) seemed to show a space gray ring. But yea, if I'm dropping all that money on a new phone, darn tootin' I want ppl to know its a five-ess!

13. mirz2000 macrumors regular

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was surprised when I saw them in person, and the silver ring did look pretty cool... But it wasn't worth it to me to have the white front. I ultimately decided on space grey.

14. MN7119 macrumors regular

Should I return my space gray iPhone5S because the touch ring is not space gray?:confused:

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

get glasses or another set of fresh eyes. You can post a pic here if you want.

16. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Yes! I noticed this too!

It's not a major issue, but I'm used to Apple scrutinising over every detail of their products. A lighter ring would have looked much better.

The black ring just seems a little... I don't know, sloppy.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's space grey; due to the fact that it's surrounded by all black, it looks darker.

This is just a result of your eyes (or rather your brain) being tricked.

The white one looks lighter because it's surrounded by all white.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Not sure I'd consider taking life advice from someone called "Knowlege Bomb".

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Absolutely.

Tell the geniis you want one that matches perfectly and start opening boxes.

20. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

I have a space gray, and the color (or lack of silver) of the touch ID ring doesn't bother me at all.

I highly doubt Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave on this. JMHO.

21. hbcubs macrumors member

Personally, I like the fact that there's no break in the all-black front. The phone lends it self to more of a "stealthy" look, especially since the button itself is now completely black.

22. AFDoc macrumors 68030

1. How does them knowing this change anything about you or your life?
    2. Why do you think any one cares?

Just wondering.

23. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

But this is the iPhone forum where "some" people are bothered by anything. To many the iPhone is a fashion tool.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

25. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So it really doesn't matter what color you get; you just want to show off the fact that you bought something new. Needy is is a good way to describe that type of behavior.