Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I've been wondering...

I have read post after post about the space gray not having an obvious enough ring around the home button.

Why do people feel this is an issue?

Of course it is more pronounced on the white phones. They are white/silver and white/gold.

I remember when iPhone 4 came out. I really wanted white. Wound up buying black at first and got a white months later.

Anyway...

People all hated the white back then. Not masculine! Too girly!

But, now, since you can see an obvious ring around the home button? Going nuts over white phones.

That seem odd?

I know plenty of people already liked white. And black.

But, is it really about making sure OTHER people know you have a 5s? I do not give a damn about such things.

I can grasp going gold. It's never been done on iPhone before.

But, being annoyed that black/gray will not announce to the world that it is a 5s from 50 feet away?

Perplexing.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
For me it's less "trying to make it obvious to other people that I have a 5s" but more "it looks way too much like last year's iPhone 5."

External differences make it look and feel much newer. But undoubtedly the internal differences are what matter for this "S" release.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I have no issues with the black or the white, the gold is another story. I like the elegance of the white, but I prefer the black when watching media as you don't see the edges. Plus I use a Magpul olive drab case and it would probably look horrible with a white iPhone. :D

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
I've ordered the black, I always have black iPhones. I prefer them because the screen colours have more "pop" when reading, watching videos etc.

catalyst07

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013
I have no issues with the black or the white, the gold is another story. I like the elegance of the white, but I prefer the black when watching media as you don't see the edges. Plus I use a Magpul olive drab case and it would probably look horrible with a white iPhone. :D

I use a magpul olive drab executive field case on my white 4s and it looks awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.