Space Grey owners - does it scuff?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stocklen, Sep 25, 2013.

1. stocklen macrumors member

Hello everyone

Long time lurker here, but only just signed up to post.

I just wanted to ask owners of the Space Grey iPhone 5S how it is standing up to marking or scuffing around the bezel.

I have had every model of iPhone, and following my white 4S, I wanted to return to black for the 5. I pre-ordered the 5 in black and received it on release date (wasnt it nice when we could do that!).... but before they were delivered, there were already rumblings on the forums about the durability of the black finish.

Now, I am unashamedly picky when it comes to looking after my stuff. I keep things nicely, and am careful not to drop etc. I do this primarily to make sure that next year I can re-sell the phone and trade up to the new one like I'm sure most of us do.

Anyway, having carefully looked after my new black 5 for 2 days, I noticed that the black was already rubbing off and silver was glistening through the bezel. I returned the 5 and Apple sent me the white one and I went away happy for another year. The white / silver finish if looked after does not scratch or mark at all.

This year, I "pre ordered" (well, 7-10 delivery you know the drill sadly) the white 5S as I did not want any risk of a scuffy iPhone and I quite like the white. Being an S model, and the fact I have had white for the last 2 iterations it would be nice to go back to black but not if it has problems.

When I tried to pick up a 5S at my local apple store, I had a chance to see the space grey in the flesh, and I have to say that like a few have mentioned here, its actually really nice - the pictures really do not do it justice. I was surprised.

Anyway, after that pre-amble, on to the question.

How are the space grey 5s models bearing up? I have looked on the forum as they normally tend to explode with the more negative aspects post-launch but I really cant find anyone talking about the grey scuffing.

I am sure it must be possible to scuff as the aluminium band is not grey all the way through but even looking at some scratch test vids on youtube, t looks pretty resilient.

I am not expecting indestructibility, but I do expect it to be flawless after a years worth of sliding in and out of a slip case (which the 5 wasnt after 2 days!).

So, how is it bearing up? Is the black/ grey coating pretty resilient this time round? or are there any signs of it rubbing off yet for some people?

Would be interesting to hear your experiences.

Thanks

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

There are much better ways to make, or retain, money. Babying a fungible consumer product isn't one of them.

----------

No problems.

3. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

No problems but then again I had no problems with the 5 either.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

5. fortheus macrumors regular

using space grey for 3 days naked (well, the back still have the original plastic). No scuff

6. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

No problems here, much better than the Black 5.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No issues on mine except I managed to damage the top chamfered edge :eek:

Using it with the protection film doesn't make it naked ;)

8. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Obviously I've only had the Space Gray for a few days but it isn't a "scuffgate" victim like the black 5 was, IMO.

I had a black release day iPhone 5 and took very good care of it, kept it in a case for a year, and still found marks on the black antenna band where the black came off.

I'm not finding that the space gray 5s has or is likely to have has this kind of vulnerability.

9. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I immediately put a power support front and back screen protector on mine - right out of the box. The band doesn't have a scratch on it.

So so far, I'd say no.

10. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Almost definitely. The question is how much it will show. Scuffs on the 5 stuck out like a sore thumb.

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

My friend grey shows a scratch badly. The gold would show less and the silver would show the least. They will all scatch/scuff, but will show it differently