'Space Grey' / Slate discontinued!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayo123456, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jayo123456 macrumors regular

is this a new colour? or black with a new name?

hard to tell from pictures

2. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Slate discontinued!

Apple replaced Slate with the gray "graphite" finish we've all been seeing leaks of

Do you like the old slate or new graphite finish best?

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Slate was too easily scuffed.

Bring on the graphite!

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Fixes the issue with the chamfered edges being scratched during production and by users. Makes sense.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm sure current slate users will say they don't care about the scuffs but I wouldn't be happy..

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

sad. the all black slate look is what made a lot of people fall in love with the 5. gizmodo said it had the look of a stealth bomber.

weird to think the main think keeping me from wanting the 5s are the color choices.

i will miss slate!

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It's obviously gone because of the scuff gate which they couldn't resolve.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

If it means improving the build quality in regards to scuffs, I'm happy about that. I do prefer the slate, but this is the only true black iPhone you can get now.

9. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Apple couldn't build it right so they gave up on it. Doesn't matter in a case. :rolleyes:

10. WRXface macrumors regular

I never wanted a black iPhone, it always looked basic. And of all times I wanted to get a black iPhone, they make it grey. Gold doesn't look to appealing and I'm just sick of a white iPhone. If indeed it is to prevent scuffs, so be it. But I don't use any cases, so this is a big deal. Sad face.

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

Me too. I keep telling myself that I'm being incredibly shallow but Apple keeps going on about how it wants its products to delight its users and it's going to significantly reduce my excitement at getting a new device if, every time I take it out of my pocket, I keep thinking "This looks as if it's been sent off for repair and someone fitted the wrong backplate in the repair shop before sending it back".

I'm hoping that either it doesn't look as bad in real life, that I can get some sort of matt black stick-on protector to cover up the back, or that after a while I'll be able to tune it out and stop noticing what the phone actually looks like.

I suspect I'll end up getting the 5s anyway, it'll be a huge upgrade from my iPhone 4, but dropping the Slate option has definitely stopped me ordering it on launch day. I need to see the colour options in real life first.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Meh, the gray/black combo looks ok. I'll take it. Better than gold/white.

13. jonnyb macrumors 65816

The chamfered edges on the space grey will still be anodised, won't they? If so, they'll still be prone to scuffing - just a bit less noticeable, perhaps.

14. TC03 macrumors 65816

What I love about 'space gray' is that we've got the aluminum 'steel' colored edges back.

[​IMG]

The iPhone 4 had this from the start, and in my opinion the grey sides with the black front is what defines the premium design of the iPhone. It's good that they brought it back.

15. keatth macrumors 6502

thats true the black chamfered edges looked like plastic