Space Grey X is the way to go if you plan to use the screen instead of the back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Nov 6, 2017.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

I have the Space Grey X. I went to the Apple store to see if I should replace it with the Silver X. I played with the Silver one for 10-15 minutes and came away with the clear impression that Space Grey X is superior when you want to immerse yourself into the screen itself.

The Silver X is great looking when you look at the back, probably better than the Space Grey X in that area but as soon as you flip to what is the purpose of the phone, the screen, the immersion is not as good as SG. The Silver has a shiny chrome on the edge which when viewing the screen in light shines and distracts you when you are looking at the screen, especially video and images. When you use the SG X, the Space Grey infused edge gives an immersion feeling as if you are looking into a window with black boundaries so the white, the colors and everything pops out even more especially in light conditions. your peripheral vision is not distracted even once by the silver shining in your eyes. When the screen turns on, your focus is thus on the screen edge to edge while on the silver, to me at least, my peripheral vision was constantly catching the silver glimmer on the outer edges of the phone.

2. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

I cannot imagine wanting to or needing to immerse myself to that degree. That’s what the 70” OLED on my living room wall is for.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Good justification. I hope you convince your intended audience of the superiority of one over the other.

4. noobinator, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I disagree completely that this is an issue at all.

5. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

the silver is all black in front.
    they look the same from the front.

6. furbzv1 macrumors 65816

furbzv1

But once you put a case on it then you won’t see the chrome band.

7. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Going back to the 6/7/8, the space grey / black offer more "immersion," but year after year people bought the white faced iPhones. It's personal preference.

8. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

lol, wut?

Whatever you need to do to convince yourself and others you made the right colour choice.

I am quite content with the viewing experience on my Silver, excepting in general I prefer to watch any content on a larger screen. Is this where I start a post ******** on the X for not making a 70” OLED iPhone?

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

this thread isn’t some attempt to justify the color choice of the OP by pointing out some frivolous observation of the OTHER (non-chosen) color. Nope.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Both are great, not sure anyone can say one is superior to the other. It's a personal preference, we don't need more "superior" threads.

11. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I have the SG X and I love it, but to call the silver inferior is just silly. The silver looks gorgeous as well. It really is about personal preference. Just enjoy your phone.

12. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I normally pick the Dark phones for this reason, but the Silver’s side band is not distracting at all. It’s so thin from the front that you barely notice it. It just makes for a nice edge accent.

There is no better or worse colour. They’re both beautiful.

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple had to give the YOuTube previews and journalists the silver color to create hype/awareness for that color as the majority of their preorders were for the Space gray version.

14. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Loool reeks of insecurity

I'm loving my silver iPhone X had no problem immersing myself watching Stranger Things season 2 on the way to work this morning :)

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Nah, I think it’s too highlight the new and different design elements, and to bring out the nostalgia in people. The silver makes me think of my old chrome and white iPods fondly.

The silver also pops on camera.

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Aww man, I was just about to come in here and post:

"It's a good thing the FaceID is so much more secure on the Space Gray model. Wouldn't want the OP to have much more insecurity in their life!"

BAM!

17. deuxani macrumors 6502a

deuxani

I personally think the bezels on the Space Grey look bigger than on the Silver one. On the Space Grey the black bezels and black steel band together look like one big black bezel, while on the Silver the distinction between the black bezel and silver steel band causes the bezels to seem less thick in real life.

For me that's more important than emersion which I never need :) And when you actually want to emerge yourself, you will prefer to do that in a darker environment and in those cases both models will look exactly the same ;)

18. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

Not really sure how you can think that the silver X is significantly different from the space grey from the front
    [​IMG]

The older design iPhones have a much much much more difference from the front compared to the X, in fact put a space grey X and silver in the same case and that tiny silver bezel is basically gone anyway.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

L.O.L the post-iPhone release circus gets better and better every year in these forums.

20. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I don't understand....just get the phone you want.

Why take the time to post these post? I think the silver is the most gorgeous phone I have ever seen....period. So I bought that phone.

But I don't think less/ or even care if you got the space grey, a different iphone model, or even a phone by a different OEM.

There are more import things in life.

21. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Why do people feel the need to convince everyone else of the validity of their own choices?

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Who makes this 70" OLED you describe :p

just poking because they jump from 65" to 77", and from $3K to $10K with that size leap.

23. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

The amount of self justification and peer enforcement of buying decisions on these forums is just alarming.

Is it that everyone is spending way more than they can afford on these phones and need make themselves feel better on their buying decision or that a lot of people are way more insecure that. I’d imagine?

24. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Or kids have a lot of money because some of these threads have me shaking me head.