Space Shuttle Discovery Launch

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Well people, the Shuttle is about to go up - just over 2 hours from liftoff.

Are there any of you watching the NASA tv feed? I'm excited!! :) :) :)

Lets hope it will be a successful re-entry to space for NASA.

Live NASA RealPlayer feed here

aussie_geek

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think most people here are probably maxing out there connections with Apple Store refreshes at the moment. ;)

Still, it's exciting news. I hope it all goes safely.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
DerChef said:
However :(

How many forum members drive Cars that are 30 years old and were a compromise design to begin with :eek:

Yeah, I know what you mean there!! :eek:

The Shuttles are the Rolls Royce of Space travel at the moment. They have been retrofitted and enhanced numerous times over their lifetimes- a real technical feat!!

Seeing this is a Mac forum, Mac's have made their history in space travel being the first personal computer ever put in orbit. STS-43 astronaut James Adamnson uses a Mac Portable computer on Space Shuttle Atlantis in August 1991 to send the first email from space.

linkety

They use Windows and IBM ThinkPads now..... What happened????

aussie_geek

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
iSaint said:
It was a great launch! My prof let us out at my urging so we could go watch it.
You have a very understanding professor. Reminds me of my elementary experiences of a teacher having a TV in her room. Got to watch the launches of the Mercury live.

There may be more engineers using a Mac than we realize. I remember seeing many of the engineers at the JPL Mar's Rover teams using a PowerBook.

My wife and I watched it live via ABC. The upgraded cameras were awesome.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I got up at 7:30am PST to watch it. I have to admit I was a bit nervous after the Columbia incident and all, but was glad to see that everything went well with the shuttle launch :)

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Anyone know of any after launch footage? I've been looking around (missed the live show) and can't find anything. I'll keep my eyes, peeled, but perhaps if anyone comes across anything, or is aware right now of any video, post it for the rest of us?

Thanks! :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Earendil said:
Anyone know of any after launch footage? I've been looking around (missed the live show) and can't find anything. I'll keep my eyes, peeled, but perhaps if anyone comes across anything, or is aware right now of any video, post it for the rest of us?

Msnbc has some great stuff but on a Mac your out of luck. Its nice to view the news in motion on this Alienware ;) Im glad it went up safe and hope it comes down that way but the low orbit shuttle needs to be retired. Heck the 60s crowd was exploring space but the 2005 crowd seem happy with endless low orbits. Lets stop the games and get on with space exploration. Enough of endless low orbits :rolleyes: Shuttle if anything seems to have prevented us from moving forward.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Earendil said:

NASA TV is continually re-running sections of the launch.

BTW - they have just been woken up and are doing some day 2 operations.

aussie_geek

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Dont Hurt Me said:
Msnbc has some great stuff but on a Mac your out of luck. Its nice to view the news in motion on this Alienware ;) Im glad it went up safe and hope it comes down that way but the low orbit shuttle needs to be retired. Heck the 60s crowd was exploring space but the 2005 crowd seem happy with endless low orbits. Lets stop the games and get on with space exploration. Enough of endless low orbits :rolleyes: Shuttle if anything seems to have prevented us from moving forward.
My friend shot this footage of the launch here. He did it live in the crowd watching the launch...

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
aussie_geek said:
Yeah, I know what you mean there!! :eek:

The Shuttles are the Rolls Royce of Space travel at the moment. They have been retrofitted and enhanced numerous times over their lifetimes- a real technical feat!!

aussie_geek
Rolls Royce ... Please!! They don't patch together trent engines using obsolete and dangerous technology / engineering for their jet engines! Have you seen the state of the shuttles?? pieces falling off left right and center, they should use the Russian approach.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
mad jew said:
*Slaps head!* Awesome, thank you. :)
you could have also held down option while clicking since that auto directs links to the download window :).

anyway the movies pretty cool :) home vids are great. glad to see the shuttle made it safe.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
There are reports this morning that debris – apparently a piece of heat shield tile – was seen coming from the shuttle during take off. Hopefully the new safety and monitoring systems will enable them to get to the bottom of it and track down any potential problems.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Looks like a chunck broke off near its front landing gear bay, not good also a chunck came off the fuel tank but thank god it didnt hit a wing. Also it was reported that the shuttles fuel tank hit a bird 2.5 seconds after launch. We need a new rocket folks. This thing is going to kill another crew before its over. Come on congress get out of the space pork barrel business and let someone like tSpace get us there safer and cheaper. Shuttle is a disaster waiting to happen again and again and perhaps again. Those glued on tiles just dont cut it and neither does 25 year old hardware. Wouldnt surprise me if they have to send another shuttle to rescue the first one :(