Space: The Beginning

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by callmemike20, Nov 13, 2010.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

My mind is about to explode...

Space... It is everywhere.

Question: How was it created?

How was something created from nothing?

I know it happens in labs today because of quantum theory and stuff, but how did quantum theory exist when absolutely NOTHING existed?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Called the Big Bang, God/Jehova, or Alá; whichever you want to call it.

However, whatever happened, happened. It may not be the time for us to know how and when, but we know it happened. That should be enough for us; at least for now.

Also, I sense this may be moved due to the fact that some kind of arguments will entail religion or scientific debates that are better suited at PSRI.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Read Steven Hawking's The Grand Design. Ours is not the only universe, perhaps.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The universe being inside another universe. I see where that is going.

5. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I would like to keep religion out of it because I am thinking before God's time. He had to come from somewhere too...

As for multiple universes: How did the first universe come into existence. Even if space was a giant black vacuum, how did that begin? Blackness also had to come from somewhere. It's a color. Basically, how did everything begin, even the stuff that doesn't really exist but is conceptual.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

As much as you would like to, it's inevitable; someone will bring it up. No, that's not me. Yes, I did say it, but I also said Big Bang....

Remember the Law of Conservation of Mass/Energy. You can not create nor destroy matter/energy, just change it.

Say in our case, there was a balled shaped pre-universe sphere (say a huge colorful ball made of energy and mass). It exploded for xyz reason. Hence due to the above mentioned laws the stuff in the universe can form.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Attached Files:

8. GimmeSlack12, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010

GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Although it is hard to comprehend (the universe), the fact remains that the universe is finite and therefore there is a borderline where space "isn't" everywhere.

Quantum theory just attempts to explain the interaction of subatomic particles since, at that scale, the laws of physics don't behave in the way that classic physics works (i.e. what we generally witness).

It is mind boggling no less to understand that Earth is just a pin prick in a fabric of universe that stretches out beyond the moon's orbit, but space is so old that it's age is just as hard to understand as the distances it stretches.

In it's truest form, blackness is just a space that is void of light, visible light in our sense. Remember that our eyes can only see a minuscule fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum.

9. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

It seems like all of the answers are thinking past the time in question. That huge colorful ball made of energy had to come from somewhere. It couldn't have just been there forever, imo.

As for the law of conservation of mass, I think it's just as valid as chocolate being good for you.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The problem with Hawking is that he refuses to believe the universe started from a single point even though the mathematics proves it, much of it his own. Also, the multiverse theories explain nothing. They just clouds the issue.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That we may never know. This for all we know, could be a repeat of already happened episodes. Like in that Futurama episode.

Law of Conservation has thus to be disproven. So, for now it sticks and is the best thing we can use to explain certain phenomena.

As per multi-verse universe, I'll also say that it will just cloud the real answer than reveal it. Let's just try to stick with solving one universe creation at a time.

12. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I understand that. It's just extremely hard to put what I am thinking into words. If it is void of light, then that means light must exist and it simply isn't in that area (void of light). I am thinking in the times of pre-light, pre-energy, pre-EVERYTHING.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The leading theory on what you're talking about (pre-universe) is called M-Theory. In which the "M" is for membranes. The idea is that two large membrane planes collided and released an immense amount of energy that we describe as the Big Bang. The energy released in the Big Bang then had to spend time cooling down until the energy could coalesce into electrons and eventually into hydrogen, after that the early stars fused H atoms into He, and further elements. There was a point in the early universe known as the dark ages, where there was so much dust and hydrogen that light could not propagate because the amount of matter was literally too dense. It wasn't until gravity start pulling things together a bit that it cleared up some room for light to actually pass through the vacuum.

14. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I'm aware of the big bang. I want to know the stuff PRE-big bang.

15. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Time is not linear. I'll explain more in the next life.

16. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Time is linear in respect to my current state. However, I know what you mean.

17. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

What else could infinitely pour infinite mass at an infinite rate?

FYI black is a lack of light

18. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

If time is linear to your current state, maybe you should find a way to shift perspective.

... Your next clue came early... Or did it...

19. Ttownbeast, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

You know what it is?????
    [​IMG]
    It's ****ing magnets man.

In all seriousness though I think the big problem will always be our limited concept of time in its relation to realities other than our own. When you ask what comes first you can say time comes first, but what is the cause of time or can there be a cause for time? Assuming something caused time is a pretty strange concept because without time there is no such thing as a before to be a cause leading to an effect.

Which is one reason I think that series of cartoon movies The Land Before Time may have been false advertising. That and the Never Ending Story, both miserable disappointments. :rolleyes:

Yah I know I went back to being funny but there is a valid point somewhere in there. :D

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My hat is off to you good sir. Well played, well played.

Attached Files:

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This image popped into my head, while reading this thread. :D

Attached Files:

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The explanation of the early inflationary phase of the universe does not appear to contradict the existence of an original singularity. What Hawking does not approve of is a time singularity. He views time as we would view latitude on the surface of the earth with the big bang being the North Pole. To ask what was before (in time) the big bang is to ask what is North of the North Pole. Clearly, space is at a singularity at this point.

The multiverse theory explains why our universe allows us to be. Other universes may come and go in an instant as the physics are unstable.

That is how I read it. What is your take?

23. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know you do, that's why I mentioned M-Theory. Cause that is the theory pre-big bang.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hmm, is this a religious issue? Nope.

Is this a social issue? Again, nope.

Is this a political issue? Hunh?

So why was it moved? Simply because someone mentioned God/Jehovah/Allah?

Seriously, moderator(s)...

As for the discussion... On one hand, I suspect the behavior of the universe is similar to the behavior of the atoms - the universe is just a huge atom.

But then again, is there vacuum space inside an atom? I wouldn't know, but do anyone know? Because if there is, there might very well be tiny universes and galaxies and planets in each atom.

I mean, look at how things go ******* when we split some atoms. Enough energy for a big bang (scaled up to the size of the universe splitting)?

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

All of existence (the universe, the multi-verse, whatever) is contained within every object inside it, in an endless progression. There was no beginning, there will be no end. The Big Bang theory is just a very well constructed model of the fallacious notion that there was creation, a notion established by our social-animal culture and very difficult to escape.

Reality is not stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine. (—some physicist whose name escapes me right now)