Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
We do have XGL/compiz on our Macs already. Its called OS X ;)

What we REALLY need, since the infrastructure is already there, especially with the latest additions of CoreAnimation, is someone in Apple to do all those nifty animations for OS X. We got the hardware and the software, now we need the animations.

Edit: fix acronym.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Saw this some months ago when Novell previewed it at their developer conference. Although it looks great, it does limit the number of virtual spaces somewhat, whereas Apple's take on the same issue is more expandable.

It's pretty snazzy though isn't it :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
gauchogolfer said:
It's pretty cool, but I want to know....what happens when you go to the top of the cube :eek: :eek: ?
The Novell demo showed the Novell logo, which sort of suggests you lock the workstation by moving to the top. Don't take that as written though.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
That puts Apple's effects and animations to shame. Microsoft doubly so.

Hmmm...It's an X server...wonder if it's possible to make it work with OS X? I know people have installed KDE... Hehe, I can dream, can't I?

Anyway, wow, that's cool. Hope we get that in Mac OS X 10.6 :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
IMHO, the graphics were way over the top. The cube effect might be cool, I guess, but as someone who likes to get work done on my mac, I wouldn't like all of the 'jelly-like' windows to shake around. I think that spaces will be perfect for me to organize my work (and play) areas, but in an unobtrusive way. I would end up turning off all of the effects I saw in the movie.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
OSX has the underlying technologies to support those graphics, but Apple realizes that adding eyecandy often makes sortware less functional, intuitive, and simple.

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
Chaszmyr said:
OSX has the underlying technologies to support those graphics, but Apple realizes that adding eyecandy often makes sortware less functional, intuitive, and simple.

I agree. Afterall, we don't have water ripple effects on the dashboard or the ability to slow down the minimize action of a window :rolleyes:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Chaszmyr said:
Apple realizes that adding eyecandy often makes sortware less functional, intuitive, and simple.
...and judging by the reception given to the ripple effect in Dashboard, highly understandable. :) ^^^

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Frankly, the only reason why I bought my Powerbook was because I wanted a portable with a diecent graphics card, a nice screen (17" 1680x1060), and the backlit keyboard.*

I planned from the begining to wipe it and put Gentoo on it, however then I found that OS X has some pretty damn nice games, like Pax Galaxia and Wingnuts2, and WoW, so Gentoo sadly took a back seat.

Frankly, if I could get Enlightenment E17 with XGL, and the ability to run OS X applications then I would be estatic.

If not, I would settle with Aqua with XGL, and then the whole OS X apps thing is a given...

ArthurS

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
gauchogolfer said:
IMHO, the graphics were way over the top. The cube effect might be cool, I guess, but as someone who likes to get work done on my mac, I wouldn't like all of the 'jelly-like' windows to shake around. I think that spaces will be perfect for me to organize my work (and play) areas, but in an unobtrusive way. I would end up turning off all of the effects I saw in the movie.

Couldn't agree more. The animations are SO useless. And I would much rather have virtue desktops than the cube spinning desktop. Why on earth would I want to place a video (or any window) on the corner of a cube? And what's the point of wobbly windows?

Most of the animations in OS X (and Vista, actually) serve some sort of purpose besides just being pretty. This doesn't. It doesn't improve the user experience. I actually prefer Windows XP over this. Then again, I generally use my computers to get work done, so I might not be the target audience.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
spicyapple said:
...and judging by the reception given to the ripple effect in Dashboard, highly understandable. :) ^^^

the ripple is to hide loading time, if it was not their users would get annoyed that you need to wait 2 secs to be able to use a widget, apple could do all the plasticy crap but they don't because it's useless and gets in the way of your work, OS X eye candy does nothing of the sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.