Spaces is nice, but…

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stoid, Oct 25, 2007.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

So I really like Spaces, and it's really neat how if you drag a window to the edge of the screen it will switch to the appropriate Space taking the Window with you. I have assigned iChat to appear on all Spaces so that no matter where I am it follows me. I really like it so far.

But…

I wish that it was far easier to assign apps or individual windows to a specific Space. It wouldn't be that hard. I imagine the best solution would be to right click on the window's title bar area and have options like

Assign Window to Current Space
    Assign App to Current Space
    Assign Window to All Spaces
    Assign App to All Spaces

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

looking forward to using it!

i think that is a little nit-picky. but of course we'll find something to complain about

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I agree, for advanced users (like us) that would be great. But, the whole idea is to simplify and organize. I think all these options would overwhelm 90% of Apple users (who likely still don't use expose)

4. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

I would agree. During my time at a Store, I was shocked at how many people didn't even know you could control-click.

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, I don't expect it to be an advertised feature, but for power users it would be great to have this. I wonder how the window management is done, if a third party could write something like this, or if it might come in a 10.5.x update. It could be though that something like this would require a fundamental restructure and come in 10.6 in 2-3 years.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

don't get me wrong, those are good ideas, and would be nice to have. but leopard isn't even for sale yet, and you're already got something negative to say.

why not be happy with how spaces is......at least for now? isn't it better than no spaces?

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

These aren't negative comments they are suggestions for improvements.

8. Ariez macrumors regular

I actually prefer Desktop Manager. Smooth transaction and options that spaces dont give.

9. maxi macrumors regular

For those who used spaces

Question:

Is there a difference in CPU usage and RAM assignment between using spaces and just having everything open on a single one (like in tiger)??

Like, is using spaces more (or less) efficient "snapiness" wise? (like, do programs on unused spaces enter a deep freeze or whatever?) or is it just designed to reduce cluttering?

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

they aren't totally negative....but not totally positive.....so which are they?

11. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Desktop Manager is a genius program. Along with Quicksilver and Witch my Mac desktop is perfect.

Still wanna check out Spaces in store tomorrow though to see if it's worth upgrading to Leopard.

12. dr_lha macrumors 68000

So can I take it from this that Spaces doesn't have an option to make a window appear across all desktops?

If so.... ****!

EDIT: OK re-reading the top post again it appears you can. Good! :D