Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Montano

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Sunny CA :)
The last few days, my emails have been arriving with this [SPAM SCORE 0] before the subject. I thought it was something to do with OS X's Mail program, so I started using Entourage for my mail, and now it's doing the same thing. Anyone else had this happen lately ? What is it, and how do I get rid of it ?

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
My local co-op started attaching a "SPAM Score" to message subjects, and about a month later, they announced a new SPAM filter. You may begin to notice that the SPAM score changes, which might indicate that they are ready to use a new SPAM filter.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
my friends mail server marks junk mail with **JUNK** before each message but he can't get outlook to move the messages in the correct fashion. I laughed and told him that mail sorts mine...

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Filter

The provider I uses a similar filtering system. Does it look something like:

****SPAM score: 29.60**** Women: Orgasm Rapidly

If it looks similar I can find out what filter it is. The one my provider uses works very well and barely ever catches wrong messages. It makes it so nice to quickly sort through all that SPAM.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, I agree with everyone here, it's something that your mail provider's doing. My dad's mail provider does this and he finds it very useful. I use a different provider which doesn't do it, but that's OK because I don't get spam anyway (can you believe this? :D)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Just a quick question about Spam/Junk Mail since I don't know much about it. Just recently I've been getting a lot of Junk Mail and Spam sent to my .Mac account. This NEVER happened until just a few months ago. The thing is that absolutely nobody has my e-mail address except very close friends and family. I've never used that address for any mailing lists, business transactions, ebay, anything whatsoever, etc. I use a seperate Yahoo address for all that crap. How do all these Spammers suddenly have my address? How does this work?

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Originally posted by tjwett
How do all these Spammers suddenly have my address? How does this work?

1. You posted your e-mail address somewhere in a guestbook or something similar, and forgot about it, or

2. You are the victim of a dictionary attack. Works like this: Generate a few million likely names (using so-called dictionary files). Attach popular domains like "@hotmail.com", "@yahoo.com", "@mac.com" and send it out. For the illegal addresses, you will get bounces (mail server notifications). The rest enters the e-mail list.

:(

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by crenz
1. You posted your e-mail address somewhere in a guestbook or something similar, and forgot about it, or

2. You are the victim of a dictionary attack. Works like this: Generate a few million likely names (using so-called dictionary files). Attach popular domains like "@hotmail.com", "@yahoo.com", "@mac.com" and send it out. For the illegal addresses, you will get bounces (mail server notifications). The rest enters the e-mail list.

:(

nutty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.