Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144758-ping_spam.jpg

It's been less than 24 hours since Apple released iTunes 10 and its integrated social networking functionality, Ping, but spammers and scammers are already starting to spread their messages via the service. The first major instance appears to be a "free iPhone" scam that has seen multiple accounts posting replies to entries from a number of the most popular music artists currently using Ping.

While it shouldn't be a surprise that spammers would seize upon any opportunity to get their links in front of a large number of people, Ping's linkage to the iTunes Store would at first glance appear to make things more difficult for spammers, who would need to create verified iTunes accounts before spamming.

But while Apple has touted over 160 million iTunes Store accounts with credit cards associated with them, a credit card is not required to open an account, as Apple allows users to create accounts to download free iTunes Store content without the need for confirmed payment details that might otherwise discourage spammers.

144758-ping_report_posts.jpg

It remains to be seen how well prepared Apple is to deal with this influx of spam, although the company has built in the ability to report postings containing offensive, inappropriate, or spam content. The multiple spam accounts for the first "free iPhone" spam wave remained active for up to four hours before being disabled just minutes ago, although their posts still remain visible in Ping.

144758-ping_disabled_account.jpg

Article Link: Spammers Already Taking Aim at Apple's Ping

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
i personally think ping will fail, i know for a fact im not taking any part in it. if i find a song i like ill post a status on facebook, if i even care enough to do that.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
good luck apple

with free virtualization, free web email it's easy to keep on creating itunes accounts

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Spammers always find a way to exploit things. If only the few fools who fell for this crap wouldn't click on spam links perhaps they'd give up. :(

Good to see apple have implemented a spam reporting solution.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Crap spams were understandable 7-8 years ago but now it makes me wonder who on earth can still fall for them!?!?!

Obviously quite a few people otherwise they wouldn't bother with it... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how will Apple handle this poo...

Usernames Suck

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
It's still a little bit more controllable than facebook. Here it's probably just fake accounts set up for spam. On facebook, people were stupid and real accounts are just getting hacked and taken over for spam.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If Apple wants Ping to be successful, they will want to act fast to limit this, and remove not only the accounts, but the posts too.

This is one area in which their need to control things will come in useful and be appreciated.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
ping is like google buzz

no links to other social networks

no easy way to find friends

lack of interesting people to follow. there seems to be only 20 artists on there and most of my feed is rick rubin spamming me to buy crap

this is classic apple from the last 3 years. release a beta product with a few features and spend a few years building it up. just like microsoft in the 1980's and 1990's

except apple doesn't seem to want to work with anyone else

PsudoPowerPoint

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
San Diego CA, USA
I anticipate that Apple will change their policies so that only accounts with a credit card can post to Ping. If Apple has reason to believe that the account is based on a stolen car they can report it to the card company. I suspect that using a stolen credit card to set up an account is a crime.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I anticipate that Apple will change their policies so that only accounts with a credit card can post to Ping. If Apple has reason to believe that the account is based on a stolen car they can report it to the card company. I suspect that using a stolen credit card to set up an account is a crime.

I hope not, seeing as I only like using iTunes gift cards to fund purchases. I've took all cards off my account.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
again a case where a few pricks ruin it for us all. Do they really think they make money that way? There should be a law that allows to sue those people or at least the companies who try to make money through those clicks.......

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
Anonymous comment sections without proper moderation, YouTube, News articles, and now ping are filled with the worst of human nature.

internetdickwad.jpg

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
They already have a user base of millions, plus a ton of info from the "Genius" feature. Apple definitely could have gotten much more creative than what is essentially just public profiles for iTunes accounts.

Integration with other services is essential. I'm not going to waste my time searching for all my friends on Facebook and re-following them and I highly doubt many other people will as well.

And now the spam will just make it worthless. At least on Facebook the stupid "app spam" only comes from people I chose to add so I can easily block it.

marconiusrex

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Crap spams were understandable 7-8 years ago but now it makes me wonder who on earth can still fall for them!?!?!

Obviously quite a few people otherwise they wouldn't bother with it... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how will Apple handle this poo...

Last time I checked....there's still no shortage of stupid people out there. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.