Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Readdle's iPhone email app Spark has proven to be quite popular since it launched in May of 2015, and as of today, it's expanding to the iPad. Spark is now available on all of Apple's tablets, from the 7.9-inch iPad mini 4 to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Spark is unique because it includes a "Smart Inbox" that's able to filter emails to show you the most unread important messages first. It's able to tell if an email is personal, a notification, or a newsletter, processing it accordingly. It's designed to let users check to see if an email is important at a glance.

sparkforipad-800x507.jpg

Like many iOS mail apps, Spark uses swipes to quickly delete and archive incoming emails. It includes a pinning feature (stars in Gmail) to denote tasks that need to be completed immediately, and there's a snooze feature for putting off emails until another day. Built-in quick replies let users reply to messages with pre-selected messages, a feature that's useful on the Apple Watch, and there's a smart search for finding messages based on name and time frame.

Spark's update optimizes the app for all screen sizes, from iPhone to iPad, and it includes a revamped design. Other new features include additional languages (English, German, Chinese Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, and Portuguese are available) and support for watchOS 2.

sparkformac-800x404.jpg

Readdle is also working on a Spark app for the Mac, but the company says "it will take some time" to create "the best email client for Mac out there."

Spark can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular iOS Email App 'Spark' Expands to the iPad

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Said no one ever.

it works well enough for my needs that I've never felt the need to look into a third party replacement. Actually that statement sounds like it's just satisfactory enough that I haven't felt compelled to look; I've never had any complaints, this is one of the things that actually does "just work".

inajeep

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
it works well enough for my needs that I've never felt the need to look into a third party replacement. Actually that statement sounds like it's just satisfactory enough that I haven't felt compelled to look; I've never had any complaints, this is one of the things that actually does "just work".

Negatory there ghost rider. I have had the mail app crash repeatedly, fail to open attachments until I reboot my phone, long standing issues with adding gmail accounts in the mail app and continuous phantom unread email indicator that won't go away. These issues occur with my iPhone and my wife's iPhones 5, 6 & 6sPlus over the years. I welcome a 3rd party mail app and will look to see if it works better than the built-in mail app.

Fearless Jim

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
CloudMagic still the most complete email solution available (iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Wear). Love their clean, intuitive interface with powerful service integrations.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Said no one ever.

Agreed. Maybe for someone whose email consists of 1-5 emails per day or pics of their cat, but no one the least bit serious about email considers that stock app near good; unless they are forced to use it per their work/company and have no choice.

No basic things even gmail/outlook on the PC have- no threaded view (you can but it's so convoluted to get to it's not worth doing), no snoozing email. It's just archaic and good for personal email and that's about it.

CloudMagic still the most complete email solution available (iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Wear). Love their clean, intuitive interface with powerful service integrations.

Same as above. Good for personal email, but missing basics like landscape view and gmail aliases every other 3rd party app out there now offers.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
This doesn't seem to properly support Push. Across multiple accounts, when I get a new message the iOS Mail app will have a badge on it and give me a notification banner, while Spark just sits idle until I actually open the app.

Reactions: jef82

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
"the most unread important messages first"

how does it know how much of the message I have read?

I would consider that easier than determining how important a message is.

There are three factors I would say you can use:
1 - Has a portion of a message been scrolled onto the screen?
2 - How long was that portion of the message scrolled onto the screen?
3 - Did the user's eyes ever look at a given portion of the message (going from scratch, this would be rather difficult, but I'm pretty sure there are already libraries to use the webcam to track the position you're looking at on the screen.)

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
This doesn't seem to properly support Push. Across multiple accounts, when I get a new message the iOS Mail app will have a badge on it and give me a notification banner, while Spark just sits idle until I actually open the app.

Something is wrong with yours then because it works fine here, even for gmail.

Do realize that the "push" is going through their serves to push you the notifications. It is not push email as in Exchange.

Reactions: jef82

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Something is wrong with yours then because it works fine here, even for gmail.

Do realize that the "push" is going through their serves to push you the notifications. It is not push email as in Exchange.

No idea what to tell you, unless I open up the app, it has no idea I have received new emails.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Background refresh not on for the app in settings?

Wont update if that's not on.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
currently my #1 desired email feature is a "mute thread" button. especially when you work in an 80 person office and people start replying all with comments like "cool!" "yay!" "thanks for this!"

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Negatory there ghost rider. I have had the mail app crash repeatedly, fail to open attachments until I reboot my phone, long standing issues with adding gmail accounts in the mail app and continuous phantom unread email indicator that won't go away. These issues occur with my iPhone and my wife's iPhones 5, 6 & 6sPlus over the years. I welcome a 3rd party mail app and will look to see if it works better than the built-in mail app.
There's your problem, bin gmail move to exchange.

I have 6 mail accounts, 5 exchange and 1 iCloud account. Hundreds of emails daily and no crashes or issues.

Reactions: SharePointJoe

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
No. The built-in Mail app is just perfect.

For you it may be.
[doublepost=1456421373][/doublepost]

Agreed.
[doublepost=1456421569][/doublepost]
While I'm a Spark user, I'd guess the mail app is indeed perfect(ly suitable) for most iOS users.

The desktop version of Mail is absolute garbage though. Inline attachments? WTF???

I got Airmail on Yosemite. It's one of the best email clients out there. Spark is creating a desktop version as well. Should be good.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does this support IMAP servers? I'm sick of seeing cool email clients that only do Gmail.
[doublepost=1456422842][/doublepost]
Email is still a thing? I thought it had gone the way of the fax ;)
Email is universal and not controlled by any one entity. I sure as hell hope it never goes away.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
currently my #1 desired email feature is a "mute thread" button. especially when you work in an 80 person office and people start replying all with comments like "cool!" "yay!" "thanks for this!"

Ummmm I believe (dont quote me) that Spark can. In the message under the subject click the "details" and there is a little bell icon. I believe that turns on and off notifications for that thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.