sparks came when I connected MacBook power adapter(bought in US and used in INDIA)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhanu08, May 21, 2009.

1. bhanu08 macrumors newbie

HI

I am new to this community and new to MacBook too and I need some help in this regard.

I used a 220v to 110v converter to charge my MacBook in INDIA(I bought it in US) but after 5 min I saw a small flame between power brick and converter and the converter also got heated up,the converter became very hot, it burned my finger when i touched it.(I used the 2 pin plug not the extended cord which has 3 pins)

Will it damage any power brick or any component of MacBook ?

How can I now use my MacBook in India, I consulted one of my friend regarding it and he suggested to buy world kit for Macbook, but I cannot do that now as I am in INDIA.

Any help or suggestion for these queries is greatly appreciated.

2. DR_K13 macrumors regular

lulz

3. eleven7 macrumors regular

:D:D

Why did you use a transformer? The magsafe adapters are multivoltage 100~240?

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The power adapter can do 220v just fine. All you need is the 3-prong plug... where in India are you? There are a number of stores which should sell the world adapter kit (here is one list).

irmongoose

5. bhanu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know that megasafe adapter are multivoltage 100~240 more over in India we have cylindrical prongs where as in US rectangular prongs

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

just get a converter for the prongs. (or if you want to play with your life, use wire to connect :p)

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You probably put more load on the converter than it was designed to handle. What does the MacBook draw, 65W? Look at the converter and see if there is a maximum power rating; it's probably less than 65W. In any case, a voltage converter is redundant, since the charger supports 100-240V anyway. Just use a plug adapter.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The shape of the prongs has nothing to do with the voltage they carry...

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Maybe not in your country but in Canada and the US we have different plugs/prongs for 110 and 220 so you cannot plug one into the other... To the OP almost all laptop adapters are multi-voltage adjusting, as has already been mentioned you only need the adapter for the plug in the wall to your adapter plug. If ever in doubt read the label on the adapter it gives the voltage range it will accept on it along with the amps needed and frequency range.

10. bhanu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Where in the US do they use 220 VAC? If I remember correctly, 220V isn't even allowed due to safety concerns.

12. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I'm in Canada but it is pretty much the same in the US for this as we are standardized on the same system. Any full size electric cooking stove has the 220 plug along with most washers and dryers the electric base board heaters I have in the house are 220 along with other things like that. Pretty much anything that needs it can have it as the service coming into the house is 220 which then gets split into 110s for the normal low voltage appliances or used directly for those that require it.

13. Whitefang8355 macrumors newbie

220v i believe is used for industrial "Commercial & Consumer" products in the US. I have one 220v plug in my house for the washer and dryers (ironically i now have energy saver washer and dryers so its wasting 110v LuLz).

Anyways, yeah I see your issue with the connectivity and experienced it for myself when I took a trip to Africa. If you have an adaptor for an american plug that Big, Bulky, White wall plug part is the "60W MagSafe Power Adaptor". It says this on the side with the 2 prongs, but get out your reading glasses and move into a well lit area, because it was printed on there in dim, grey letters. And the voltage range is around the other side in even smaller dim grey letters "100-240V 50/60Hz". If it says these things then it should be just fine for those ranges of voltage.