SPCA Exec's Dog Dies After Being Left In Hot Car

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is sad, and ironic. Should she resign?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32569213

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Don't the Eagles need a place kicker? There's her next job, then.

Seriously, that is a sad story. And yes, she ought to think about moving on. Soon.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- she needs to resign. Now. Today. How ridiculous. How do you not know a dog is in your car?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

See? Even to the animal lovers, they're still just animals.

Seriously, I don't know how you can drive around with a dog in the car and not know it. I'm pretty sure the dog didn't sneak is way in quietly.

This is a long way from letting a baby die in a car, but this is still pretty bad. If there's a law on the book for animal cruelty, this just might fit it.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Do we know what kind of car? the dog is that old and is in the back and lying down and you are blasting music, would you notice? :confused:

Still, very sad. And ironic too.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Also deaf and blind, probably laying down instead like most dogs sticking their head out the window.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

She was there when the dog got in the car. It's HER responsibility to remember the dog, not the dog's responsibility to remind her.

Either take care of your animal, or don't have an animal. In that regard it's much like having a child. Some people just aren't good enough at it to do it properly.

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

She didn't put the dog in the car, her husband did. It's entirely plausible that it was an honest mistake of habit and miscommunication.

But I can totally expect the husband will be going through a special kind of hell over the next while.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In most cases I can't see how people would forget or not know about a dog in their car but it does seem entirely plausible in this case that she could've had no idea. If this is the case I don't see a reason for her resigning.

Side Story:

In the UK a police dog handler left two alsatians to die in a hot car in July.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/21/police-dogs-heatwave-died-prosecute

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have always said there should be licenses to have kids. The test? Give the couple a puppy. Come back in two years and see how the dog is doing.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wow! Two years? That's quite a probation period before being allowed to have a kid.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, but it sure is thorough. And given the number of f***ed up parents in the world, well worth it. Get the vet records as well, and see what's been going on for those two years.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Not enough in my opinion. But obviously you have no intention of debating this. :cool:

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

It's possible it was an honest mistake and she didn't know but I won't feel bad for her if she's forced out of her job. The SPCA and other similar groups would be ready to lynch if it was someone else who did the same thing.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Agreed. How much effort does it really take to look in back seat? I always check before I get in, but then again I'm one of those really weird people that pays attention to my surroundings.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You want to debate actually requiring people who want to have children being required to apply for a license before they're allowed to have them? OK. I have two main questions:

1) When are you allowed to apply for the license? Do you need to be married to apply for a license? Can you apply without a partner? Is the same license required for adoption or is that a different license?

2) What happens if you get pregnant without a license? Can you apply for an emergency license and go through an intensive program to earn the license?

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Aye. And we don't even know what kind of dog it was. If it was a large breed (a retriever or mastiff), it'd be pretty hard not to notice. Even in a full sized SUV. Now if it was a small breed (corgi or chihuahua), you'd have to look pretty carefully to find them. My cousin has a teacup chihuahua small enough to fit in a ... teacup.:eek:

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't know, this sounds like a really unfortunate case rather than anything malicious. On the other hand it is a really big DUH! Why didn't the couple communicate?

There have been several times I've unknowingly driven around with a cat in the car (living in the country + stray cats + windows down), but they can get in and hide under the seats.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's exactly what I was thinking, and wondering.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

As off-the-wall as that might sound (and it did to me), I can't completely disagree. We require a license to get married or go fishing, but not to be a parent...makes no sense to me. :confused: But just the same, I'm glad you didn't make me live with a dog for two years ;)

Not when you consider how long they live. Unless you leave 'em in the car on a hot day, they generally live quite a bit longer than a puppy, and you can't take them to SPCA when you don't want them anymore. I dare say parenting is more of a lifelong commitment than marriage is.

+1 - I even check the truck for stuff like my briefcase before I get in and out. Seems to me something like a child or dog in the car would be even MORE important to check on.

Maybe not malicious, but more than unfortunate - I would say negligent. The sort of behavior I wouldn't expect from someone who heads an organization which purports itself to be the champions of the cause for animals.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Animals are just animals to other animals that love animals? I'm not sure what your point is :confused:. I consider myself an animal lover but don't consider animals to be more than animals....

edit As for this story it must be horrible to lose their dog under such circumstances. There was obviously nothing malicious to it - just an unfortunate accident. Whether she resigns or not is completely up to her. I don't see how this undermines her ability to do her job, but then again I can see how some might see it as a poor PR example.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems to me the problem is that this executive, like too many people, fails to take responsibility for her actions. It sets a bad example by suggesting that sufficiently placed individuals can skate on blame by spinning the appropriate story -- even if this is not the case.

As a leader, she should be holding herself to a higher standard of responsibility than other people and not a lower one. She could do a lot with this experience to advocate for awareness that could save other pets' lives.

Instead, she wastes everyone's time with this "not my fault" nonsense.

That part bothers me about this....

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You came to that conclusion from the article :confused:?

Where did she say this? Is there another article?

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others. ;)

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe I'm overstepping, but across all the articles that have since come out over this (I didn't comment immediately... I did give her some time... I haven't seen any statement from her, and it's been more than enough time. Just her refusal to resign. I don't even want her to resign (not that I really care about SPCA). But I think it's fair of me to say she hasn't done much leading since this happened.