Speak American, dammit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Apparently last week was Foreign Language Week. at least in NY schools. So to celebrate this, Pine Bush School broadcast the Pledge of Allegiance on the sound system every day in a different language. Of course, you cannot utter those sacred words in Islamic, that would be heresy. Veins popped all over creation, outrage flowed like lava, people ran about erratically with their hair on fire.

No, you freaking dorks, they did not require all the students to recite the pledge in Arabic, they broadcast it on the sound system. Talk about trying to gin up some worthless hatred, through deliberate or sloppy misinformation.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Drumming up outrage and hatred is the status quo for Fox News! That's what their viewers live for.

3. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

As opposed to Michael Moore, Rachel Maddow, and Bill Maher?

4. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Many NYers are sensitive, considering two large terrorist attacks occurred in NYC... are you surprised by people being upset? The terrorists weren't speaking Swedish.

I think it's an overreaction, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. We have better issues in NYC, such as banning kids from drinking sugary drinks. LOL

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Excellent rejoinder. Those three dish it out.

The thread topic happened a while ago, I thought.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's funny how he reaches for the Nazi Germany comparison. I've always regarded the pledge as a leftover element of the Cold War era.

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

And what is your point?

Yes, those three individuals dish it out as well and it is disgusting but it does not change the fact that Fox News's entire business model is based on enraging viewers 24x7.

8. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

I think you mean all American Media.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's just another example or relativistic moral values ... they do it, so it's okay if I do it.

I thought conservatives were supposed to have core values.

Guess not.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, there are elements within the American Media whose sole purpose is to enrage viewers but none have taken it to the level of Fox News where it is not just a single TV show but the entire 24x7 media cycle.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

There are Christians and other religious groups that speak Arabic. Somebody should let Fox News know.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

What to do? Cut off their free speech? Maybe the answer is to call it Faux News and advocate that nobody listen to it. We certainly cannot tolerate dissent from our chosen beliefs. It should be eradicated.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Lol. I watched that FOX news network once. Could have sworn they were all on crack. What they broadcast shouldn't be called news.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

In 2009, the White House had much to say about Faux News, an incredible first. Name another administration to single out a single news provider and advocate against listening to it. It's like a heartbeat away from Dear Leader.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-gloves-are-off-white-house-says-lets-not-pretend-fox-is-a-news-network-the-way-cnn-is/

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Okay, I apologize. #

17. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

18. A.Goldberg, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I spent some of my childhood growing up the greater NYC area and I'm generally moderate but tend to lean slightly right more than slightly left. I don't see anything wrong with this as it was a week dedicated to appreciating other languages. I don't find really find it insensitive at all. If it were in the NYC school system on 9/11 anniversary, then it probably be more room for debate.

I had no idea where Pine Bush is, but as the name implies its upstate (about 2hrs outside of NYC). 9/11 was 14 years ago. Kids in High School now were in preschool, maybe kindergarten when the attacks occurred.

This article says Jewish parents are angry. While they are probably annoyed because of the past issues with alleged antisemitism issues in the school (I am sympathetic for that and can relate if that is the case), they should remember that Arabic is one of the two official languages of Israel. So let's put things in prospective here and relax.

Then again, if they said the Pledge of Allegiance was said in Spanish, people would probably complain that it was a conspiracy involving the illegal immigrants.

---
    Edit: If this town is truly as antisemitic as the news reports make it out to be, it's no wonder they have a problem with speaking Arabic. Just wait until they find out the numbers they've been using all along in math class are Arabic.

19. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to recite anything in "Islamic".... what does that even mean. Arabic is the predominant languange of the 'Islamic culture', but no one speaks Islam. That's like saying I speak atheist.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

I take exception that the thread title tells people to speak american, when americans actually speak english :rolleyes::D

Unfortunately I can't watch the video at work, because my flash is out of date and my it dept wont update it .

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well a sort of English.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, but it's much more inflammatory to say "Islamic" than to say "Arabic."

24. Huntn, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Uh, NO there is a distinct difference between the people you mentioned and Faux News. What ever the agenda these people have, they are not masquerading as a legitimate, semi-neutral news organization, unlike Fox who firmly resides in the realm of the Conservative blogasphere. Now if Fox wants to change their name to the Fox-Pravda West, Fabricators of Conservative "Truths" Wink, I could buy that. ;) And Rachel Maddow, I've watched many of her shows and although it's an opinion show, I have high confidence in the accuracy of her reporting. That's why many conservative hate her. No one like having their noses rubbed in the uncomfortable truth. :)

One of multitudes upon multitudes of Faux distortions:

Attached Files:

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ah the pledge of allegiance. A weird flashback to times where nationalism was fashionable.

A pledge so often repeated (by kids who aren't allowed to vote or drink!) is utterly worthless.

I had to pledge once in my lifetime and i mumbled myself through it.