Speaker Mic is gonnne

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfologist87, Dec 27, 2011.

1. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

The mic on top of the phone that is used for recording video and used for speakerphone calls is not working on my iPhone 4.

I tried cleaning it out and restoring the phone with no luck.

I plan on making an appointment with the genius bar to get it repaired but does anyone know (maybe an :apple: genius that is reading) about how much this repair is going to be?

I was hoping they could just repair the mic and it be pocket change, but if they are going to charge me $149 for a replacement I cant do that right now (just lost my job).

If it is going to be the entire replacement fee, I might just grab the part online and repair myself, does anyone know if that can be done somewhat easily?

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

I *think* the mic is on the bottom of the phone (I thought I read somewhere that the top mic is used only for noise cancellation). So you might try getting a can of air and spraying the bottom mic.

But if the bottom mic works for regular (non-speakerphone) calls, it might be unhappy software. A reset (home button, sleep button power-off and back on) might be all you need to do too - although I would think if you restored, that kinda rules that option out.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

4. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is the Mic not working, so while recording video, there is no audio. And while on a call, using speakerphone lets you hear the other party, but they cannot hear you.

During regular calls, and voice notes, mic works fine. Only the videos audio, speakerphone, and i read facetime calls will be affected.

At first apple switched out the phones, but mine is out of warranty. So I am just looking for a price im going to end up paying.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

$149

In Store Apple does not do repairs, they will only exchange it for another iPhone at $149.

If you call Apple Care, you can send it in and they will determine the issue and call you to let you know how much it will cost to repair, if the fee is to high you can juts have them it back.

Or you can find a local repair shop and have them take a look at it.

My mom's iPhone 3GS stopped working about a month ago and Apple was going to charge her $19 to replace it, so she decided to upgrade to the iPhone 4. Now the iPhone 3Gs is just sitting here, I suspect its the battery, so I found a shop that will charge me $40 for a new battery + service, they said that if the battery is not the issue then I only have to pay $10 for their time (and will let me know what they suspect the issue is).

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

More likely than not, the power and sensor cable will need to be replaced, because the second mic is part of that assembly.

The part itself is $20:

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4-Power-and-Sensor-Cable-GSM-ATT/IF182-015

The question is, how much time, aggravation and risk are you wiling to put into the repair?

I would take the phone to apple and see what they'll do for you. You might get lucky, or you might get quoted the full $149 fee.