Speakers and sound on new MBP 15 seem inferior to late 2008 MBP same model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I am listening to the same songs on Itunes playing on a late 2008, Early 2009 Macbook Pro 15 compared to a brand new MBP 15 and the speakers (or the sound) seems much better on the older Pro still running Leopard (more base and deeper sound), as opposed to the new one running SL. Has anything changed that would account for this? Are they the same system running off of different operating systems, or has the hardware changed. And is there anything to do about it?
    thanks

2. jaredwaynef macrumors member

I'm pretty sure, speaker-wise, nothing has changed on the MBP. It is possible though that SL has a default Equalizer for iTunes different from your Leopard version. Just open iTunes, go to View, then click on "Show Equalizer." After that you can tinker around with the presets that Apple gives you. For me, I use the "Rock preset" with the bass picked up just a hint to give it a more full sound. Hope this help.

3. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

ITunes 9

thanks for the reply. In ITunes ( the show equalizer is under the window file. I can set the preset to Rock, but not sure when looking at the different sliders how I would enhance the bass a bit. Would you know which slider and where approximately to place it?
    thanks

4. jaredwaynef macrumors member

yea sorry 'bout that. I'm on windows currently, so that was my first thing to look at. The easiest way to "raise the bass level" is to mess with the 2-4 far left sliders. However, it may take some moving around with the other sliders to make it sound the way you like. Just play around and you'll get it.
    In short:
    The left deals with bass
    The middle ... mids
    The right ... highs
    Hope it helps man!

5. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Equalizer

Thank you very much. When I move the slider to the left of the equalizer sliders, I think that it is a volume control. If I raise that I presume that the minimum volume level will be raised as well. I noticed that the volume levels coming through on Itunes were rather low. Is there a way to raise them as a default for all of the types of music I have , or do I have to do this for each music category. Jazz, classical, rock, etc.
    How does one raise that minimum level throughout the use of the computer, for example for You Tube, or Movie files, etc, or is that control within a preference setting on the computer.
    I see in the sound Preferences that there is a volume control slider. Does that by default stay at what level is chosen throughout the use of the computer, no matter in which application I am working on?
    Thanks again