Speakers to close to the Monitor / Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WMuntean, Jan 25, 2008.

1. WMuntean macrumors regular

I just bought a set of Bose Companion 2 speakers and placed them on my desk near my Mini and 2407-HC and am happy with the performance of the set.

However, I noticed a hissing sound when no audio was being output. Blah, I thought I must have gotten a bad set.

Yet, I starting thinking that maybe it was too close to my monitor/Mini. So I started moving it around and playing with their proximity and orientation only to notice that I was able to minimize the hiss.

So my question is: Has anyone experienced this with any type of speakers (and more relevant Bose C2)? That the proximity to other computer components effected static noise? Thanks!

2. Pili macrumors regular

Its probably the power outlet, sometimes you will get a static noise from another component that goes through the power cable. Try a different outlet or a different power strip/ surge.

3. platypus63 macrumors regular

I have the exact hissing on my Companion 3 set, so does my gf. Just the way it is I suppose :(

4. amik macrumors regular

Just because it is Bose doesn't mean you have to accept a high noise floor. Bose certainly did not design them with the hiss in mind.

5. platypus63 macrumors regular

We sent my girlfriends system in to bose for the problem, they asked only for the main unit (the woofer & control pod, not satellites). We received it back with a new control pod, but nothing done to the main unit, with a statement saying it was all in order. My systems hissing isn't as pronounced as my girlfriends and I have remedied the situation by placing the satellites on my shelf right above my head so the static is not aimed directly at me, making it pretty much inaudible.

I'm certain that the noise issue is not something Bose decided on, but it just seems to occur nevertheless. So best thing to do would be to purchase at a physical store so it would be easy to return/exchange. I'd also recommend calling Bose tech support, they are actually very helpful (even though there was no remedy to my gf's situation).

6. three macrumors 6502a

three

I have that hissing too but it seemed to of stop. I have a Altec Lansing XA2021 set.