Speaking of Emails: WH releases sensitive personal voter information

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 14, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-personal-information/?utm_term=.1179170f0c7f

Cut/pasted the interesting stuff. There was more in the article (view via private tab)

The White House on Thursday made public a trove of emails it received from voters offering comment on its Election Integrity Commission. The commission drew widespread criticism when it emerged into public view by asking for personal information, including addresses, partial social security numbers and party affiliation, on every voter in the country.

It further outraged voters by planning to post that information publicly.

Unfortunately for these voters and others who wrote in, the Trump administration did not redact any of their personal information from the emails before releasing them to the public. In some cases, the emails contain not only names, but email addresses, home addresses, phone numbers and places of employment of people worried about such information being made available to the public.

The White House does not appear to have issued any such public guidelines or warnings before many of the emails were sent.

"These are public comments, similar to individuals appearing before commission to make comments and providing name before making comments," said Marc Lotter, Press Secretary to Mike Pence, in an email. "The Commission’s Federal Register notice asking for public comments and its website make clear that information 'including names and contact information' sent to this email address may be released."

The Federal Register notice soliciting comments was published on July 5. The White House pagewas published on July 13.

Approximately half of the emails published by the White House were dated prior to July 5.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My outrage is about the same as every one else's was when Obamas government allowed my SF-86 to be taken by the Chinese. In other words, non-existent. The SF-86 which actually contained sensitive information. I can go to my county board of elections website and get the voter info for anyone that lives in my county with minimal google searching.

3. JayMysterio, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017

JayMysterio Suspended

JayMysterio

Isn't the fundamental difference here that with China it was the result of OPM incompetence and a Chinese hack.

Here, the White House seemed to just casually dole out the all the pertaining emails of those who choose to comment on the Election Integrity :rolleyes: Commission. At no point did they make it clear that they would be releasing all such information about the commentaries back to the public, but didn't want to take flack for people raking them over the coals for asking for such a wealth of information on voters and saying at first it would be make public.

This goes a little further in my already eroded lack of trust in anything this WH wants to do.

4. zin Suspended

The only problem here is The Post publishing fake news. Your article says a notice that names and contact information sent to the email may be released. Checking the public comments appears to show some emails where the email signatures contain telephone numbers and addresses.

Not the fault of the White House. If your email signature contains your personal information and you send an email to an address saying it will be published, that's YOUR fault.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You might have missed this sketchy part:

The Federal Register notice soliciting comments was published on July 5. The White House pagewas published on July 13.

Approximately half of the emails published by the White House were dated prior to July 5.

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

Obviously they did it to piss off those people sending in opposition emails. That way easier for nut job Drumf supporters to harass them. Common practice of amoral fearless leader types.

7. zin Suspended

Looks like more fake news. A quick Google search finds many mail sent to the states prior to July 5 that contains the email in question. Here's one dated June 28 in Kansas, another from California. It's not inconceivable that members of the public sent emails prior to July 5 given that these letters were available on various state websites before this point.

It's sad and pathetic that it took me 30 seconds to do more research on this than The Washington Post.

8. LordVic macrumors 601

is it really that easy in the US to gain personal information for anyone?
    (legit question, a nation without personal privacy of information is a very scary concept)

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You can get unlisted phone numbers?

Victim blaming. :rolleyes:

Of what good use is the release of people's email, phone number, and home address in this context? For what purpose?

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think it's sad that the WH simply released the info without bothering to redact. They chose to do that. And based on the content of many of the emails - it was likely a big fat FU for criticizing them. Of course - that's how the WH operates now - revenge and by being vindictive. No real surprise there.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Pretty much. All you need is the persons name and age range. Google will provide you with the rest, possible addresses, phone numbers, relatives.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2017 ---
    With enough sleuthing. Have you ever tried to google yourself?

12. LordVic macrumors 601

that's mildly VERY terrifying.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yep. That's why other than forums I'm not on social media.

14. LordVic macrumors 601

Probably wouldn't go anywhere, unless you get corporate buyin down there, But I highly recommend petitioning your government representatives to expand HIPAA style security and privacy to the corporate sector.

Nothing is more terrifying than a private enterprise deciding selling your data to the highest bidder. My personal information should only be used exclusively for what I agree to, no more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Information_Protection_and_Electronic_Documents_Act

If your government is apposed to such laws, that says more about the government..

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sadly I don't see anything like that going anywhere here. Personal information is big business. Things like facebook, since you aren't paying for the service or product YOU are the product.

16. LordVic macrumors 601

oh i'm aware. Facebook got dragged to courts up here because of it. They violated PIPEDA and was basically todl by the government "Fix your privacy settings, or be banned in Canada".

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, but it's not like my personal private number pops up. Or my email for that matter.

But this goes beyond that in that it associates those things with opinion on things along with personal info. It's pretty chilling.

And to reiterate, for what purpose was this done?

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If you know someone's party affiliation you can get pretty close with opinions.
    Reason it happened? Don't know, don't care like I said in my first post. Welcome to the Party Pal.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't really view apathy as a solution. Just because it has happened before or someone who actively goes searching can find some information doesn't excuse any entity from just throwing your information out there. I agree that if you use online services you run the risk/etc - but that doesn't mean when there's a blatant disregard for private information it shouldn't be criticized.

I'm sorry your information was leaked. Sincerely. It sucks. My wife had her identity stolen and it took a long time to sort things out. And she isn't on social media (and this was before there really was social media anyway).

20. zin Suspended

How are they the victim if THEY put their personal information in THEIR email signature?

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They might not have realized that it would be publicly released. I do agree with you that individuals shouldn't be putting that info at the bottom of each email though.

And I guess I will ask you the same question that literally no one seems to be able to answer:

Why was this release done and for what purpose? What good comes out of this?

22. DanielDD macrumors 6502

The White House page did get published on the 13th. This means it the situation is even worse

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Beware the normalization of the patently ridiculous...yeah, you can rationize it, but at what cost?