Speaking of weird stuff AT&T tries to pull: claim I'm on a contract, but I'm not.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunnicula, Nov 20, 2014.

1. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

So, I was checking out my AT&T online account last week when I saw that I was showing 2 out of my 9 lines as being 40 bucks a month (instead of 15). One of them was indeed upgraded (my son's line, because he's an adult and didn't want to do Next or pay full price).

The other was not upgraded. Yet, AT&T thinks it was. I'm so irritated with them. I contacted a rep via chat and the rep asked me for a receipt for the phone my husband is using. Only, I bought it on 9/19 for full price at Best Buy and they (AT&T) show that I started up a new contract on 10/24. What sort of sense would it make to show them a receipt from 9/19? And I would have to try to find it, which is an ordeal.

Anyway... I did hold a phone for in store personal pickup under my husband's line, and that was on 10/24. I didn't pick it up until 10/26, and at that time, I cancelled the purchase and bought it outright. I have the reserve notice, the cancellation notice, and the sales receipt that I got from Apple via email showing that I bought it full price w/o a contract, so no issues there. That phone is the phone I'm using now (I traded out a faulty 6 plus for one that worked correctly).

Here's the thing. They want me to GO to an AT&T store and prove all this. I don't know how many of you have spent much time in an AT&T store lately, but it takes forever around here to get help in one of those damned places.

When I first complained to AT&T last week, they claimed that they had some special group that dealt with disputes and that a rep would be contacting me in 24-48 hours. Only, a week went by and NOBODY contacted me.

So, I called back last night and this whole deal with going to a store came up. It is apparently the only way they can fix it.

My question to you all...

Have any of you had this issue?

If so, did you ream them out at the store once they straightened it out and demand some sort of compensation for your time?

I mean, it's not my fault that their computer system and Apple's are all screwed up. I don't feel I should have to produce proof in a store in this digital age because they're too dense to be able to contact Apple for these documents.

Your thoughts?

2. mb2008 macrumors regular

Had something similar happen when I purchased my last phones, had both an Apple and AT&T order go through on one line and put my old phone on different line. AT&T showed their order was active even though they never shipped the phone(!) I was able to work it out by using the contract emails sent when the phones were shipped/activated. Quite frankly, from what I went through, I would rather go to the AT&T store, and it's 34 miles away. It took two months to get my bill correct. However, they still have the upgrade eligibility dates messed up.

Yes, you shouldn't have to go through this. But I think going to the store is going to be less time in the long run.

3. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. That is why I gave in. What floored me was their claim that they had an actual contract that I SIGNED. I was like, "prove it."

They cannot, because I never signed a contract. I cancelled a sale and since AT&T and Apple are linked, they should be able to find that info, but they seem unwilling/unable to do it. It's so weird.

Highly inefficient and really crappy of them considering the time I've been a customer and how much money I spend every month just makes it even more of a joke.

I spent a good deal of time with the rep the last call I made with her quizzing me about how much I spent on my phone and trying to explain how spending over 1100 dollars on a 128GB 6 plus was a reduced price. Um... no, lady. You do not know how much an iPhone costs. Just... no.

Ugh.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It sucks.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

Best buy gets a commission for new contracts

I bet it was their "mistake"

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Either way you will have to go in to straighten it out.
    Convenient or time consuming but it has to be done unfortunately.

6. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I thought of that. But, I never gave them the phone number.

----------

Yeah. You're right. It just sucks.

I'm gonna see if they'll give me some sort of bill credit for wasting my time. Can't hurt to ask.