Specific Question: Is the additional GPU need for HD video editing with the 21" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by menzic, Oct 26, 2009.

1. menzic macrumors newbie

I thought I would have a go at a really specific question as there have been open ended questions on the subject.

Is the additonal GPU rather than the onboard 9400M need for HD video editing using iMovie 09 with the 21" iMac?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No. Right now, editing is CPU intensive only.

3. menzic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Moviecutter (very appropriate nick for my query). I appreciate the quick response. Playing on placing an order this evening sometime, switched between the models a couple of times already :)

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No problem. Keep in mind though, in the future, OpenCL will spread to other apps, including video editing. Rendering and encoding will take place on the GPU which is what that kind of processor is built for. So getting an iMac with a better GPU will give you a far more future proof editing rig.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

atm its the cpu more then anything that is needed with video editing, but new apps are coming out which are utilizing more of the gpu so you should be alright for now [​IMG]

6. menzic thread starter macrumors newbie

In the end I ordered the one with the GPU, I knew I would kick myself if I had issues further down the line and the 500 additional GB will come in handy. Just have to wait until next week to get delivery now :)

7. Fiete5401 macrumors regular

Definitely a good decision in times of OpenCL and GCD. Have fun with your new iMac!

8. menzic thread starter macrumors newbie

The MAC arrived yesterday, a good four days earlier than I was expecting. Truely a beautiful piece of IT engineering. Still getting to grips with everything but it is quick and the iMovie software is a dream to use. Put something together of the first hours of by baby boy within 20 minutes.

I have no idea if the GPU makes a difference, right now most probably not going bu the posts but I also know, thanks to the advice on here, that I have future proofed myself a bit. The 1TB drive is a nice to have as well, I can put my external USBs for backup and attaching to the PS3 for movies,

So I am delighted with the purchase, no buyers regret at all which I normally get when I buy anything for myself.

Thanks all.

Regards,
    Craig

9. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

What are you all referring to? the iMac doesnt have an option for an additional GPU... (Like the Macbook Pros). Are you referring to simply buying an iMac with the upgrade GPU? meaning replace the GPU rrather than having an additional GPU. I am confused.

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

They're referring to the 21.5" iMac which has two options. The base model comes with integrated Nvidia graphics using shared RAM. The next model up comes with a discrete graphics card, the ATi 4670.

11. menzic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes as ftaok says, with the descrete graphics card.