Speck of dust under glass on new Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MSUSpartan, Jun 1, 2012.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Ugh... trying to decide if I can live with it but once you know it's there it's hard to ignore. I should probably go exchange it since I just got it yesterday... but lugging 30 pounds down four flights, to the subway, then having to walk to the store is no fun.

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Exchange it.

Seriously. I know that trip sucks, but do it. It will bother you every day, and for the price you paid for that display, it better be perfect.

3. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

radiogoober... thanks. I actually decided to exchange it about 5 minutes after I typed that up. I spent $20 on taxis going there and back... and they exchanged it no problem. Took a while though because I bought it using a photography discount and they said it was flagged unreturnable for some reason. Anywho... got home and the new unopened Thunderbolt Display again has another speck of dust, same side but lower left area instead of upper left. Not sure what to do now, I really don't want to go back again, I'm gonna wait a few days and see if I can live w/ it. Dust is annoying because one speck of dust is like the size of cluster of dead pixels. 2 displays so far and both have dust so I'm guessing it's pretty common. Most people just don't look at it close enough to notice, though I can easily see it 18 - 24" away.

4. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hi mate, I know exactly how you feel, I went through 4 X 27" Cinema Displays, one of them even had a scratch on the base! The others had dust particles trapped inside the glass :(

And guess what? My 4th also has one or two tiny dust particles but I've decided to live with it and to be honest I don't even notice it anymore

5. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

you could take the glass off and clean it. The glass is only held by magnets so it's not that difficult.

6. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

That's crazy, I knew it was an issue with iPhones and iPads but those are MASS production units.. expected a bit more from a lower volume (in Apple's standards) monitor.

----------

I would have 20 specks of dust if I take off the glass :)

7. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick update... I decided to take it back to Apple this morning because I had an hour free and figured why not... Apple of course exchanged it no problem but also offered to have me check everything in store to make sure it is all right before I go. It was awesome, amazing service. I spent about 30 minutes with two guys and actually went through another display before settling for one that is absolutely perfect. 3rd one had some inconsistency in lighting (which was also present in the 4th one, but much less apparent and I'm ok with). So all in all, 4th time's a charm, and Apple is amazing as usual and I'm very glad to be a shareholder. I've never felt like a company has ever been this helpful before, even with all the previous times I've visited Apple. They all must have went through new training or something.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thats why I bought it on Amazon. I noticed dust after 2 days of usage and did a chat with Amazon. They shipped it out for free and I got it 2nd day. And packed up the old one and sent it back. Could've scheduled for UPS pick up if I didn't want to do drop off. Amazing service and they didn't have me return the old one before shipping out the new one. If its available on Amazon, I rather pay a slightly higher price for the awesome service esp. for big ticket items.