Speculation for iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VandyChem2009, Oct 12, 2012.

1. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Every time a new iPhone comes out I always think to myself, "what could Apple possibly do next to make me buy the phone". I can usually think of a few things ie. better camera, bigger screen, better processor, or more capacity. This time though I'm at a loss. What do you guys think Apple will do for the next phone that will make it the must have device?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't know, but Apple likely already has the next two or three generations of iPhones planned out - Perfectly spreading their new features and ideas over several generations for max profit... ;)

3. Timster83 macrumors member

From Apple's previous form, I'd expect the same design as the iPhone 5 but with possible changes to the manufacturing process to improve durability of the anodised aluminium.

We might also see NFC (regardless of Phil Schiller's comments). I think it will integrate nicely with Passbook and will interface with the user's iTunes account. Possibly with a few notable partners who agree to install NFC readers in their stores (e.g. Starbucks etc).

And of course the CPU etc will be at least twice as fast and we'll maybe see a bit more RAM and a 128GB option.

Realistically, I think we're fast approaching the point where software improvements are going to be more important than the hardware changes. Although I love the way iOS works - its seamless nature and user-friendly operation, there are probably things it could adopt from Android without necessarily losing its soul - for example homescreen widgets and the ability to add different social networks other than Facebook & Twitter).

I think the iPhone 4 design - albeit with modifications as seen with the iPhone 5 - is here to stay and while it will be refined and improved over time, I don't see many drastic changes over the next few years.

4. VandyChem2009 thread starter macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I really don't see Apple ever incorporating widgets into iOS. Granted they are starting to lean that way with how the notification center has the weather "widget" and stock "widget".

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I hear yeah. Amazing isn't it? Which is why I held onto my 4S.

6. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

lookn4wifi

Maybe a button with attaching loop (lanyard) like the iPod Touch 5th gen.

7. VandyChem2009 thread starter macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Not going to lie the lanyard on the new iPod Touch is making me want one.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

why don't we let people enjoy the phone that came out 2 weeks ago before we start obsessing about the next iPhone.

9. Moshe1010, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I guess iPhone 5 would be my last one. There is a very slim chance that Apple would make something revolutionary again. I don't believe that would happen anytime soon or not at all. Google works with many devices and there are many more user inquiries for improvement for Android; thus, in the long-run, Android would be more secure and effective OS for mobile devices than Apple's locked iTunes crap. I'm so missing my Jailbreak for the iPhone 5. I hate Apple's imperviousness toward users preferences requests. It's coming from connections for Macbooks (HDMI output after 5 years of requests from users) through mini-usb in iPhones - But NO, Apple should be different and make a new connector, so we would pay $30 for an adapter. Apple starts to annoy me, and probably many others.

10. pankajgoyal macrumors newbie

Guyz in india,the iphone 5 is still not launched,,,so our only speculation till date is only about iphone 5 :D

11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

February... Come back in February with this question... ;-)

12. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I imagine something along the lines of new processor, maybe betterish screen, 2x faster hahah like always.
    NFC hopefully but doubt it.

13. Radiating macrumors 65816

Just look at what this phone was lacking:

1. 128gb option
    2. faster processor (to stay far ahead of the curve)
    3. Better camera (without purple lens flare)
    4. Better and louder DAC like the iPhone 4/4S
    5. NFC
    6. Even better Siri
    7. USB 3.0 lightning connector
    8. Better screen (higher contrast ratio)

14. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

Apart from the usual speed bump, etc. I think NFC and fingerprint sensory integrated in the home button are two things to look for, the fingerprint stuff because Apple's been working with a few groups, and NFC because it's NFC.

Personally, I'd love to be able to skip slide to unlock and then a passcode by simply pressing the home button and having it unlock to my print.

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

so you want them to change but when they do they annoy you? Wow.

16. children macrumors regular

NFC - It will be magical

/s

All I hope for is:
    Better camera
    Less Steel, replace it with Carbon fibre? (iwish)

17. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

You guys are forgetting that Apple has been playing with liquid metal for many many years now!

18. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

What I'd PERSONALLY love to see would be a bigger screen (happy with 4 inches but 4.3 would be ideal) and 128GB option. Anything else is just extra icing

19. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

No NFC for 5s (even though it's something I'd personally like to see)

Apparently the design of the aluminium case back leaves too little space for the larger NFC antenna. Since Apple are likely to stay with the same case design, it'll be another year before they can accommodate NFC.

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Is it possible some of the internals could be made smaller in the next year, leaving room for NFC in the current shell?

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Who's obsessing? He's just bringing up a topic to spur discussion.

----------

Ha! In light of how much you dislike Apple, why did buy an iphone5? There are plenty of Android devices out there to choose from.

22. Beezzy macrumors 6502

It'll be faster with prob the same body. They've always done a new model followed by an "S" model. Im sure Quad core CPU, maybe a non crappy version of Siri, and hopefully more Storage Space. 32GB should be a baseline model now.

23. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

24. children macrumors regular

id give it 2-3 years..

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Case design is not given.

4-4S while looked similar was not the same. Frame was different to support diversity antenna system, had different segments, silent switch was in different location.

Same for 3G-3GS IIRC it got thicker.