Speech to text app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jakimo, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Jakimo macrumors 6502

I'm aware of Dragon Dictate, but am looking for a better solution.

Does anyone recommend any professional speech to text app, regardless of cost? I'm not seeing much..

thanks

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Am I missing something? What's wrong with the built in one on the keyboard. Not being a douche, I just thought that was a great option?

3. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

A real dictation program I meant. Where one could talk for an hour and have the file processed. Seems like Dragon Dictate for Mac with the companion iPhone app for audio recording, where the audio is later imported.. is the only professional style solution.

4. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I might be missing something too. I use Siri for texting all the time. Works well for me. Why buy an app when the function is already built in?

5. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Ok ok ok, gotcha haha. I was like um....

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I really don't see why the built in Speech-to-text solution wouldn't be adequate for any reasonable need. Surely you have to pause to breathe or think? Siri can take whole paragraphs of dictation at a time. Sure, you then have to tap the microphone again, but it's nearly as fast and quite as accurate as any desktop solution I've ever used. I suppose if you dictated for an hour without resting you might eventually get tired of tapping the microphone...

7. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, if you are walking with the iPhone in pocket.

I have a friend that is on a days long walk, that needs to get thoughts in...

8. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I would think that the processing power needed for the kind of dictation you are referring too would be much more than a phone processor could handle...???

9. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, with server side assistance we see this can work very nicely.

Siri handles things fine. The limited Dragon Dictate app does well, but limits us to 30 second bursts.

Also as far as Nuance goes, I think they are trying to guard their profitability models. If they outright release proper software that is helped server side with great speech to text ability, why bother with their excellent and expensive PC and Mac packages?

First thoughts in a solution for guys like that, a subscription model..