Speed difference between 4G LTE and HSPA+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JesalTV, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JesalTV Guest

In the UK, slightly confused by this situation:

- EE have exclusivity on the 4G LTE capabilites until some random time in 2013
    - However, they can't do anything until October
    - Yesterday Apple said O2 have HSPA+ capabilities, as will the iPhone 5

I'm on O2, so if I get the iPhone 5, will I have access to an HSPA+ network that is significantly faster than 3G? And will it be the same price?

Regardless, what is the real world speed difference between the two?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

In ideal conditions, there isn't much real world difference (both can deliver download speeds significantly faster than traditional 3G in real world situations). However, LTE has the advantage of being more efficient, so if there are 100 people using your tower on LTE, you won't notice as much of a slowdown as you would if they were all on HSPA+.

3. JesalTV thread starter Guest

That's great, thank you.

I'd probably just stay with O2, as 90% of my life is based near a wifi connection.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely advantages to LTE. However, it's a much bigger deal here in the US than Europe because our networks are more congested. In London you have towers everywhere so I think sticking with O2 for the time being will be fine, as you will notice some benefits from HSPA+. As for NYC, I can't wait to get LTE because AT&T's HSPA+ network is awful, while their LTE network is pretty good.