Speed difference between Unlimited Data for iPhone and Unlimited Data for iPhone 4S?

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
OK
I used my sisters line to upgrade to the 4S and it added the Data unlimited for iPhone 4S to her line and kept the Unlimited Data for iPhone on my line even when I started using the 4S. Is my phone not benefiting from the HSPA+ speeds or does that not matter? Thanks.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
doesn't matter.
Wrong. I've confirmed with numerous colleagues, with AT&T reps, and with my own device that the iPhone 4S data plan was implemented to include HSPA+ while the regular iPhone data plan only uses the slower HSPA. You can confirm by going to the phone app, typing *3001#12345#* and clicking send. Then go to PDP Context Info, click on 0 and seeing what your APN says. If it says "phone" then you are on HSPA+...if it says wap.cingular then you are on regular HSPA. Hope that helps.

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Wrong. I've confirmed with numerous colleagues, with AT&T reps, and with my own device that the iPhone 4S data plan was implemented to include HSPA+ while the regular iPhone data plan only uses the slower HSPA. You can confirm by going to the phone app, typing *3001#12345#* and clicking send. Then go to PDP Context Info, click on 0 and seeing what your APN says. If it says "phone" then you are on HSPA+...if it says wap.cingular then you are on regular HSPA. Hope that helps.
Cool, thanks!

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Thanks for that.. oddly enough it DOES say 'phone' hmmm

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Thanks for that.. oddly enough it DOES say 'phone' hmmm
Interesting...and your data plan doesn't show "for iPhone 4S"? I wonder if they fixed it to allow all HSPA+ devices to automatically connect to the right network regardless of the data plan. That would be a smart move on their part.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I would give AT&T a call anyway and just update your line to the 4S plan. It costs exactly the same, and when they see your iPhone 4S' IMEI on their system they should be able to do that right away.

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Yep I'm positive mine is just Data unlimited for iPhone. My sister's shows Data unlimited for iPhone 4S.

I think I'll just keep my current plan instead of updating it then so if they don't make an 'iPhone 5 Unlimited' plan to try to get people off unlimited then I can still have unlimited for the iPhone.

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I switched last night and it definitely seems to have made a difference in speed.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I also heard of this. My question is what happens if you purchase the iPhone 4S without contract? Can you just call AT&T up and have them change settings and/or just enter the settings in manually?

I don't think there is a differ between IP4 & 4S sims.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I also heard of this. My question is what happens if you purchase the iPhone 4S without contract? Can you just call AT&T up and have them change settings and/or just enter the settings in manually?

I don't think there is a differ between IP4 & 4S sims.
You don't even have to call At&t to switch to the iPhone 4S data plan. Just go to at&t.com and log into your account and you can just change the data plan that way.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Feeling totally stupid

Where do you find "PDP Context Info, click on 0 and seeing what your APN says?" My data plan is unlimited for iPhone 4S. I typed into the phone app the string you said - it kind of vanished - I looked under the app in settings and also in the ATT app, but don't see the "context info" or "APN" you refer to. Please educate me.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Where do you find "PDP Context Info, click on 0 and seeing what your APN says?" My data plan is unlimited for iPhone 4S. I typed into the phone app the string you said - it kind of vanished - I looked under the app in settings and also in the ATT app, but don't see the "context info" or "APN" you refer to. Please educate me.

Go into Phone, type *3001#12345#* and press Call. It will open up Field Test. PDP Context Info is the last item on the list. Click that, and then a list of 0-3 should show up. Click 0, and then a menu showing IPv4 and APN should appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.