Speed of Airport - how can I check?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tekno, May 8, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

If I do a speed test, does it check the speed between my house and the exchange or my computer and the exchange?

So imagine I has 100Mbps internet, would the speed test show 100Mbps or 54Mbps (the maximum of my Airport)?

I ask cos we have an odd wifi set-up where we have our O2 wireless box in the loft (three floors up) which also has an ethernet output that is connected to a socket in the lounge into which my Airport Extreme is plugged. But I'm sure the net is faster when connected to the O2 box.

2. droo macrumors member

See this - you can see the connection details for your wifi.

http://www.callingallgeeks.org/19495/mac-tip-view-advanced-wireless-network-info-from-menu-bar/

If you connect via wired connection to the O2 box this will probably be faster than the Wifi connection - depends on O2 ADSL speed etc.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The speed test would show your connection from the computer through the airport through the modem. Hardly any outside connections though even come close to the theoretical max. For example, Time Warner's fastest residential connection is their Wideband ($100/month) at 50MBps, which is about 5 "real-speed" megs per second. So basically, the lag time isn't inside your home; it's the bandwidth restrictions placed on your service by your ISP.

4. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a