Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I think Apple should be faster to release new features of iOS.

Let me explain this better: for every function Apple could launch a new update ex: iOS 6.1.5 = Added Control Center.

So they can work on one feature per time and we can get new useful stuff faster, and not to wait everytime 3 months (from 1st beta to the final release).
Now they are working on every fixing every bug and feature so it clearly takes longer. But imagine Apple introducing one thing per time, as mentioned above: Control Centrel, they just work on it. Done. New update. Next up: Notification center re-designed, and so on..

I think that add stuff once per time also increase our curiosity, if you get all the new update in one time you get bored faster of the innovation, while if you get one update per time (but faster) you appreciate it more.

When you like something, you can't wait to long, you want to get your hands on it..

(PS: iOS 7 is a rare case - because of the new re-design - so it wouldn't work that faster cycle, but with other iOS I see this way of releases much better)

What's your point of view?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Id get annoyed, just like when the app store harasses me about some random update that adds some new language setting...(App store does this every day to me...)

I hate that "badge" so I cave and tie up my resources so I can download the "update" and get rid of that badge.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
How about NO?

The problem is, everybody is already expecting a lot from newer versions of the iOS. That is what led to iOS7 in the 1st place. People will start expecting more and more from the newer versions. Frequent release cycles would only result in a lesser refined OS. And honestly, going the Android way is the last thing iOS users want.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
New features. Reduce.

Lol, there's nothing to get used to. Did you feel you needed to adapt to Game Center when Apple added it in iOS 4.1? Did you feel like you needed time to get used to folders or multitasking?

I find an update with multiple features in it more attractive and worth it than an update with one new thing it.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Doing this would just cause android like fragmentation.

this method works perfect.

x.0 major release once a year. With new API's, features and cosmetic changes.

x.1, x.2, x.3 bug fixes, small features throughout year.

Putting out updates every few weeks would result in really frequent updating, users would find this annoying, fast.

Northernist

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2013
That would be extremely annoying. I'd rather get one major release a year with a lot of features rather than have to update every week for one small thing. It'd be a waste of time and resources when you can just have engineers and designers churn out a solid, innovative product once a year with smaller updates in between.

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
This is the technique that adobe has adopted, and it is working well for them. I don't think that it would work for apple though as so much of their marketing is based on having a few big events each year the keep the media buzz going. Most of the excitement behind apple is in the suspense leading up to the big events, and they get tons of free advertising from the rumors and hype generated by that suspense.

It would probably work to the benefit of the developers at apple to have small incremental updates whenever new features are ready, but it would hurt apple as a whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.