Speedier 4.1 on 3G means snapper on iPhone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Sep 5, 2010.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

So, people with 4.1, do you notice it? Surely if they optimised iOS 4.1 for the 3G, performance should be better with the IP4?

2. eNaz macrumors newbie

It's not faster

3. Lambros macrumors regular

4. twelve56 macrumors member

5. No ice please macrumors 6502

No change. It will only change the proximity sensor problem.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't have iOS 4.1 but my expectations are it won't be faster on an iPhone 4. I assume they optimized it specifically for the 3G which doesn't translate into optimization for the iPhone4. I also believe that the readme from any vendor never includes all the fixes, so I can always hope...

7. Amino Man macrumors 6502

4.1 actually slowed my iPhone 4 down a bit. It felt like it was paging a lot and sometimes launching apps would not show the entire launch animation. I reverted back to 4.0.2 and it's all smooth again (no matter what I open or how many things I run, it stays smooth as silk)

In my experience, 4.1 runs a tad slower on the iPhone 4. I think there may be a memory leak or something. I also tried setting it up as a new phone.

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

4.1 seems to be the smallest bit slower on the iPhone 4. I only notice it with menu animations when doing other stuff at the same time. I've also started getting lag when scrolling contacts, which I've never seen on an iPhone before.

9. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Since the iPhone 4 has a better processor, even those iOS4.02 is a little bloated - thus causing the severe iPhone 3G lag, you don't notice it on the iPhone 4.

You will however get better battery life, since I am assuming iOS4.1 has a lot of optimizations and has been slimmed down.

10. Blazing angel macrumors regular

11. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Different build of the firmware for each device so not necessarily faster on the iPhone 4.

12. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I fail to see the logic in that it won't be faster on the iphone 4 as the optimisations they make for the 3g hardware is in the 4.1 software itself - it should apply to all phones, not just the 3g.

Saying that, I have to believe what you guys are saying.

Strange this, i don't see how they could make 3g specific optimisations.

13. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Considering there was reports of spotlight being one of the causes of slowdowns on the 3G with 4.0, I think it's very possible for them to do 3G specific optimizations. To say there is no chance of other optimizations in there for other models would be silly though.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Then that would also mean it is faster on my 3GS, which isn't true at all. They just optimized the features and architecture of the specific iPhone 3G build to work better on the less powerful and limited hardware.

15. Amino Man macrumors 6502

The iPhone firmware is NOT the same on every device. They have specific versions of 4.1 for each device it's being run on.

16. chili195 macrumors newbie

4.1 on my iPhone 4 is definitely snappier. Apps open and close faster, Safari is much quicker while opening and most important of all the battery life is significantly improved. My first iPhone 4 would barely last out a day and my second one could maybe get to about 1.75 days (sometimes two days) with gentle usage which I thought was alright. Now I'm getting over a day more standby now from 100% to 0%. I'm really happy with 4.1 - good job Apple.

17. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Yep. I thought the codebase was the same though where they make all the underthehood performance changes..