Speedtest.net is a data hog

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. lavrishevo, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I travel a lot with work so I found it interesting to see what kind of speeds I will get in the cities I am in. As I just got my first LTE phone 3 weeks ago, it is even more intriguing with a new toy. The funny thing is I was not running the test but a few times in each city. What a data hog!

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Kinda makes sense the faster your connection the more it will use testing the speed because its transferring more data.

4. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Android phone. Part of the OS. Hence 3 weeks ago. ;)

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't know how to answer this without sounding snarky, but I'll try.

I don't know how much data the app uses, but considering your post it must be a decent amount. Sending and receiving 1MB of data won't measure sustained data speeds like 25MB of data.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I like the usage breakdown on Android.

Speedtest definitely is a data hog. I ended up using like 180MB first day with iP5 and most was speed test.

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah, I agree. I do like the breakdown as well. At least this can tell you the culprit if you are racking up data. I still have my unlimited plan but I also do not wish to be throttled so I monitor my usage. Anyway, just for all you iphone users. Remember not to constantly run the speed test app or you will waste your data just checking how fast your connection is. :eek:

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have run about six Speedtest app tests on Verizon LTE and by looking at the minute by minute data usage on my acct. on Verizon's web site, it looks like each LTE Speedtest run is gulping about 10MB total. So yes, it can sure add up.

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Speedtest.net doesn't download a fixed amount. It downloads for a fixed amount of time. So if you are on LTE it will be downloading a large amount of data every time you run it.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I was thinking....damn that looks a lot like the android feature :)

11. fins831 macrumors 6502a

+1

12. jeblis macrumors regular

It's supposed to use a lot of data. In order to get a statistically significant result you need to push a lot of data through in order to get a reasonable average. In reality a good test would last much longer and use more data, but they are trying to strike a balance between data usage and reasonable results.

13. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Where did you read this? Seems like it goes faster on a faster connection to me. I would guess that they are just downloading a 10 MB file and timing it.

14. pr0pel macrumors newbie

Assuming you're on one of the new mobile share family plans, are you able to change your plan to a higher level and not be hit with overages if you're already close to the cap?

15. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

The confusion comes from the fact you posted in the iPhone forum :)

16. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Its not a data hog, if anything its you being a fool, wasting data on speed test. Just stop running speedtest all the time. How exactly do you think it test your speed? It has to download something. LTE is fast, and with any fast connection to accurately tell the speed, it will need to download a larger file.

17. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90