Spendbo: Economic Stimulus Checks Part II

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jul 16, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So, it appears that the our fair congressional leaders are at it again, as they seem to have discovered some more of our tax dollars in the couch cushions that never got spent. Kindly enough, they are proposing the idea of more tax rebates.

So, once again, we will rob Peter to pay Paul, build up even more debt, and do it all under the flag of free money. At least my student loans will get paid off a little faster. Do this a couple more times with the tanking housing market, and I might even be able to save enough for a down payment on a 3/2 townhome for my little family.

And they wonder why they are down to 8%.

2. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

They are right, even though I didn't actually get one (I was claimed a dependent since last year I was still living at home while a student) I talked to a number of people who did who said the money went to pay off debts and most importantly the money went to transportation costs. The problem is the government didn't have that money in the first place so we will be giving it back later and if they do a second stimulus check it will again go to pay for rising energy costs.

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

It was commonly understood that the powers-that-be were deluding themselves in expecting that people would spend it on commerce. Issuing more deficit checks to pay for energy does nothing to curb consumption and is only going to make things more expensive in the long run.

This ends up being an end run around possible accusations of mimicking energy subsidies of oil producing nations.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You didn't expect them to actually invest it, did you? ;)

Maybe in some kind of long term "strategy" that would, I don't know, reduce our dependence on volatile energy sources while simultaneously creating middle-class jobs for Americans... *cough* green energy *cough*

Or, even better, look for savings in other parts of the government that could be contributing to the rising cost of energy... *cough* pentagon *cough* :eek:

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The first ones didn't do what they were supposed to. And we couldn't pay for those either. While they attempt to pander some more, they're oblivious to the fact that this is exactly the opposite of what we really want. A few hundred bucks doesn't do anything. Some people may have benefited, but overall it isn't going to fix anything and we know it.

I finally got mine and it's currently sitting in the bank.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"Spendo" reminds me of the acronym we came up with in 3rd grade math class because we thought BEDMAS wasn't nearly silly enough. Enter "BEMDO".

Perhaps that's the formula they're following?