Spending $7000 this christmas for all this. Am i using my money wisely????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kevinkt, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kevinkt macrumors 6502

Hi I am spending $7000 on a new music setup which consists of these things

Mac pro hex core 3.33ghz 24gb ram
    3 WD caviar black internal HHD
    external HHD
    Battery backup
    Monitor
    EW composer collection
    X50 keyboard
    Violin pickup

Ive attached a pic of a more detailed list of price of each item

please tell me if this seems like a good buy

thanks

Attached Files:

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

No, not even close.

I have a similar setup, it's great, but price was not a consideration otherwise, I probably wouldn't use Apple products.

3. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

4. kevinkt, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010

kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry what do you mean by not even close. Is there something wrong.

I will be doing film music and regular music notion on the macpro. And the korg x50 will be for my ambient/ minimal/ electronic band. Btw I will use my old MacBook and install abelton on it and have that my sequencer.

5. iBlue, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's a pretty snazzy set up right there. Can you afford it without putting yourself into debt or causing any other financial woes? If so, sure, it's a justifiable buy. If not, consider cutting some corners with a little less RAM and a generation older Mac Pro. They're still very powerful machines for what your needs appear to be. I don't know what "EW composer collection" is so I can't really comment on whether or not that's worth $1k or if there are other less expensive alternatives. You obviously do know though so if you're overstretching financially - don't. Always remember: not having it RIGHT NOW does not mean NOT EVER.

edit: though I guess because my reply wasn't unconditional praise it wasn't worthy of any response.

6. chrono1081, Nov 23, 2010

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its an EXCELLENT setup. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Take a peek at my sig. I have the same computer and too have EW composers collection (sadly I bought it all before it was a collection!)

Make sure to buy the ram from OWC not from Apple, you will pay around $1200 unless its cheaper. As for the hard drives you can pick whatever, although I will admit an SSD is eating away at me...I want one badly!

I can't comment on the X50, never used it. I don't need the latest greatest keyboard so mine is quite simple.

I also have different hard drives. I'm not keen on WDs and have hitatchis in mine, they were cheap and work awesome.

I do all kinds of stuff on my machine. Music, Videogame development (the big one), 3D modeling, light video work, heavy photography work.

Its a super fast computer and is excellent. Those EW packs coupled with Logic can eat up a good amount of ram. Just make sure you are not bankrupting yourself on this purchase.

EDIT: Make sure when you order EW you buy the iLok! I hate iLok, its a rip off, but its necessary to run the software. And always install the updater on their website FIRST then install your disks.

EDIT2: Also, I'm not sure if its part of the composers collection but if you want an AMAZING violin grab Gypsy.

7. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the encouragement! i have saved for this for about 4 years its time to buy this beast lol.

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Nothing wrong with the base config, I would however suggest a SSD drive for boot and apps. The difference to a mechanical drive really is like night and day.

BTW: Which UPS are you considering? 100 bucks seems a little on the low side.

9. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Couple comments -
    1) you need a 1200-1500 VA pure sine wave UPS - that will be at least $300 probably (http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-PP...IJ88/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1290510964&sr=8-5)

2) They are more expensive, but 2TB drives will be faster than 1TB. The max transfer rates are greater due to higher areal density on the platters, and you don't fill them up as quick, thus avoiding the slower, inner tracks.

3) a single 2TB drive for Time Machine isn't a real robust backup strategy.

10. kevinkt, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010

kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

Will this suffice ?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...-E753-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I'll prob get two 1 tb back up drives instead of 1- 2 tb

How much faster are the 2 tb drives compared to the 1 tb? Is it worth the extra cost?

11. toxic macrumors 68000

you don't need 3 WD Blacks...there are better options, especially if they're just holding data. Samsung F3's are faster as data drives, for example (higher sequential read/write).

shop around for RAM. Newegg and Superbiiz sell Mac-specific RAM, as well as normal server RAM (which will also work). OWC, TransIntl, and MaxUpgrades sell Mac-specific RAM.

12. philipma1957, Nov 23, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

okay buy this ups

http://search.vanns.com/sitesearch/search?q=apc+s15

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/753163336/apc-s15?s_c=site_search

a complete no brainer. don't argue or fight about it it is just too good of a deal. I have one and it is the correct size

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...B-ECC-Server-Memory-For-Apple-Mac-Pro-Systems

this ram works and is 77 a stick. 4 sticks are about 310 16gb ram should be enough.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...-F3-HD103SJ-1TB-SATA2-7200rpm-32MB-Hard-Drive

these are nice at 60 each. you want more for backup then just a time machine.

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

14. jns2001 macrumors regular

I am not familiar with the high end stuff that you are purchasing. But for backup, there is a website called moat.com that charges you 5 bucks a month for unlimited space, perhaps you should consider it.

Take care,

15. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

2tb caviar blacks are much quicker, but for short term I say get some extra samsung 1tb f3's at 60 each. next year 3tb drives will come down a lot which means 2tb will also come down. dec 2009 2tb caviar black hdds were 300 bucks at newegg. now 2tb caviar blacks are 180 at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...456&cm_re=caviar_black-_-22-136-456-_-Product

the samsung 1tb f3's are 60 bucks. a short term stopgap until spring 2011.

for ssd's owc has a nice one.

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/60GB+ssd+extreme

16. neckarb macrumors regular

I'd say for what your looking for it's perfect, however I would get a minimal ammount of apple ram included, and then buy 3rd party RAM like, Kingston or something, very good RAM and a lot cheaper

17. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you may be right,but you are UK based your power is ;

220v 50hz

usa is 110v 60hz

I wonder if that makes a difference. we had a poster that used the unit you linked he came back a week later and wrote it was ff'ing up. He was usa based.

I can also say that if the power supply in your town Is dirty/noisy/polluted all gear works harder. I spent about 4k on my setup> i know my area has really nasty power issues including dc current in the line. My opinion is very simple if your power supply is pretty clean you can get away with a lessor system and an adaptive sine wave will work. If you have nasty juice coming into your home 100 usd more for a better power source is worth spending.

18. neckarb macrumors regular

You can't use a 110v American PSU on a 240v UK Plug, unless it says on the plug that it's 110-240v :)

19. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

reminds me of an old joke the punchline is: wrong hole! wrong hole!

20. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I sense something dirty... :p

Anyway, you may be right power quality. I actually never thought about that. Here in western Europe, the power you get is pretty consistent, other than from a lightning strike, I never hat a power out or something similar.
    Still, I always settle for a surge protection plus a decent UPS for my hardware (even though most UPS devices have an internal surge protection).

My (fairly poor to be honest) understanding about the two major different UPS technologies is that the UPS will either always run the connected devices (like the APC Smart UPS), or only provide power in case of a power out (like the Back UPS). Since in case of the Back UPS, the regular power line still powers your devices, pure sine won't be possible, will it?

Does the unit you linked provide a pure sine, thus powers the connected devices continuously?

21. Ilion macrumors newbie

Kevinkt,

Where are you finding the 6 core for $3300? I'm looking at a similar purchase and the cheapest I find is $3694.

thanks

22. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I got an educational discount

23. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have 2 caviar blacks in raid 0 for my sound library. 3rd one will be for audio project data. What's up with the samsung 1tb f3s? Are they better than the caviar blacks?

24. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I balked at the price initially, but it looks like you'll use it. Have fun with your new toys!

25. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have 2 caviar blacks in raid 0 for my sound library. 3rd one will be for audio project data.