Spent 40 minutes explaining Apple Pay to my credit union's branch manager

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ntombi, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I had emailed my credit union, and spoken to someone in the branch a couple of weeks ago, but this time I went and spoke to the branch manager.

She had never heard of Apple Pay, and, after I gave a little description, she asked for an explanation from the ground up. A CS rep who was free also sat in on the conversation. They were both clueless, but sounded amazed and interested, and even pulled up some of information on the web as I was explaining. I spent a lot of time emphasizing the benefits to the financial institutions, of course.

I was disheartened by the lack of knowledge--especially considering how many other local credit unions are already participating, but at least I feel like I got the ball rolling.

My CU is small, and serves only my city, so they tend to be behind when it comes to taking advantage of tech (they're still beta testing mobile deposits!), but they do a good job when they finally catch up. They're also great about handling security breaches, erring on the side of caution, which costs them more money in the short term.

I feel like we might get it in a year. :/

Anyone else trying to encourage their bank/credit union to join the Apple Pay bandwagon?

2. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I would try but my CU, though the largest in NC, does not seem interested in hearing my input. It could just be my local branch though.

3. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Credit unions are usually slow with the consumer front tech.
    A lot stuff especially mobile is being contracted out.
    I work at a software company that writes your credit unions software.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Luckily I'm with Navy Federal Credit Union. They should be :apple: Pay ready by next month.

5. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I love my local credit union, but it's stuff like that made me jump ship. You do get some benefit from putting up with the national banks crap I guess. :rolleyes:

6. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yeah, they are. It took me (and others, of course) a couple of years of nudging to get them to release a mobile app. But once they did, it worked very well, and they've continued to update it regularly. I like that aspect, and gave them that feedback as well.
    I actually used Navy Federal, and the fact that both of the major credit unions nearby are already on board, as selling points.

Shoot, I could have used PowerPoint, for all that it was a sales meeting. :p

7. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I use Huntington bank, and I was relieved when they said they would be supporting Apple Pay as quickly as possible. Sadly, the only card I have that supports it right now it my Capital One credit card. :(

8. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yeah, my Chase United CC works, but I only use that one rarely.

9. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Just an update. I got this e-mail reply to the comment card I also submitted, at the branch manager's suggestion.

So hopefully, I'll be seeing Apple Pay on my everyday debit and credit card by this time next year. This delay is the price I pay for the personalized service and other benefits of banking with a small local credit union.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I also use a local CU - they have several locations and serve a city of roughly 1 million people. Spoke with the Branch manager about the same 2 things you did recently. Found out that mobile deposit had just been introduced but had to opt in before it would show on the app. ApplePay is expected sometime in 2015.

This CU also is behind in technology but they do a very good job. They always greet me by first name when I enter the lobby. Little perks keep me there.

11. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

My credit union is testing and implementing it now. Altra Federal Credit Union. :)

12. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

took your 40mins to explain Apple Pay? ... max time should of been 5mins from start ground up to this is how it works

13. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

I also use a credit union but they are so behind with the times it's not even funny. They just recently got a mobile app. I imagine i'll move my funds to another institution. Theres not really a huge benefit for me anyway ive been a member of this CU for about 6 years. Yes, i said it. I will switch institutions to use apple pay. I'm all about tech and moving forward. Its just plain convenient.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is what has been said all along. You need to wait for financial institutions to catch up here. Somehow people just expected Apple Pay to work out of the gate with every single bank. That is just plain silly. What is even more silly is spending 40 minutes trying to explain anything to your bank. Asking them about it is one thing, sitting there for 40 minutes discussing the ins and outs of it is ridiculous. Perhaps I just value my time slightly, that could be it.

My bank just started accepting mobile deposits within the last 5 months. I don't expect nor do I care if they want to start supporting Apple Pay. Maybe I'm on the top floor of apathy on this subject, but I figure these banks will catch up and if not, I will move to another if it is so damn important for me to use Apple Pay exclusively.

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Oh please. People/CUs don't know and won't learn unless you teach them. Sometimes its the price you pay to get the service you want. His CU must be really good for him to take that kind of time to explain it to them instead of going to another bank that does have ApplePay. Heaven forbid someone take the time to help someone else help them out.

16. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

State Employees Credit Union?

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they gave a pretty lame response about how they feared it would be insecure and pointed out that the introduction of the iPhone 6/6+ and iOS had not been "smooth". I explained to them that it is just a branch off the same system (EMV) that is being implemented by them and everyone else to accept Chip and Pin next year and they said they would forward and get back to me.

I also asked about an app or a possibility of doing mobile payments and they flat our said they will not support them. They do have a mobile enabled version of their site though.

I am also able to go to USAA (have insurance through them already) so I may have to consider moving if they don't wake up and realize its no longer 2002.

17. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Wow, I guess I'm really lucky with how forward thinking my CU is. They only have about 1.1 billion in assets, but they've had mobile deposit for a few years and will support Apple Pay on December 15th.

18. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Just curious, which CU do you use. Mine is pretty much the exact same size in assets and is on the same type of timeline with Apple Pay adoption.

19. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Mine is a regional cu, Eastman CU, very up to date on mobile stuff and online stuff but no plans as of yet to support Applepay. I love them and will maintain one account there but at the first of the year I'm going to start using Wells Fargo.

20. simon48, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

UW Credit Union, it's based in Madison WI.

Edit: I just noticed you're in Wisconsin, are you're at UW Credit Union too?

21. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't have an iPhone 6 yet, but I hope my CU is working on getting Apple Pay. We've had a decent mobile app for a little over a year maybe. I've been much happier with them than I was with US Bank. Free checking is awesome.

22. ihatephish macrumors regular

I too have been putting the pressure on my CU. Like I told them, I'm not threatening to leave, but I will if they don't adopt apple pay soon. So convenient, fast, secure etc.

23. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

That sounds like threatening to leave to me. ;)

24. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Nice! I'm actually in La Crosse, Altra Credit Union.

25. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Why not just show them the 5 min video on Apple's site? :confused: