Spent four hours organizing album art...Still messed up on iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hecklerdanny, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Is anyone else having this problem? Maybe if you are you can help me. It's sort of annoying.

I spent about 3-4 hours organizing all of my iTunes songs into albums, and supplying album art for EVERY item in iTunes...Which was about 7,000 songs. I did this mostly to get the full effect of "Cover Flow" on my 16GB iPod touch. But when i'm viewing in Cover Flow...it seems to be a little bit messed up. Some of the art just flat out doesn't display, some of it displays multiple times, some of it only displays when I flip an album over, some of it only displays when I'm viewing in Album view, outside of Cover Flow view. It's pretty annoying. Like I said, It all looks great in iTunes, but is messed up on the touch.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

PS...I won't go into the nightmare of actually obtaining a "Good" 16GB iPod touch...I'll give you a hint, it involved multiple drives to my Apple Store, which is located about two hours away...Is it beginning to be too much to ask to just get a GOOD product...The FIRST time you buy it?!

2. xerikx macrumors regular

I have a feeling it deals with the tagging in iTunes and not your ipod..

3. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I've gone through and tagged everything correctly according to "Artist - Album Artist - Album" So I don't think that's it. Like I said, i've double checked all of it in iTunes and it looks good. iTunes is happy with the way I tagged everything. Maybe the touch is more picky about tagging, though.

4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Switch iTunes to album view (alt+command+4) instead of coverflow to check if your tunes are indeed correctly tagged and show up grouped properly as albums.
    Perhaps the lack of some artwork could be a discrepancy in file format of which some the Touch might have difficulty displaying? Just guessing out loud here.

5. lany macrumors newbie

For the albums that are displaying multiple times, make sure there isn't any extra info for the song file. I've found that on some songs even if I have the album and artist set as the same, if a song has extra info such as album artist or composer set to something different, it will display as a seperate album.

6. B.A. macrumors regular

Make sure that all the songs on the same album are in the same folder in your iTunes Music folder in Finder. On a few albums, I some songs off a CD at different times, and they ended up in different folders, which made the display of the album artwork display multliple times.

7. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I also have this problem, I spent days manually finding/making covers for all my albums (first time I used iTunes), but none of my custom added*.jpeg files are appearing on my iPod Touch. It works perfectly on iTunes. Do I need to add my picture files to my iPod Touch?

Edit: Strange... without changing my files, the more I sync the more correct it gets. Still not all correct, though.

Edit Edit :p Found after further searching that same names of albums makes albums disappear on iPods on coverflow, only searching by albums shows the individual albums. I guess I will just append the names of the albums with the band on those.

8. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

i have the identical problems with cover art on my 16Gb iPod Touch.
    Sometimes it shows, sometimes not. Sometimes only when you flip the album over and back.... clearly a bug.

9. BayGleam macrumors newbie

I found that the only consistent way to sync artwork for selections I've synced prior to having the artwork is to first delete the selections from my Touch, then re-sync them.

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

GOLD! That's it! My Touch was having some Album Art problems after i went through all my songs and got rid of extra album art (didn't know you could have more than one pic...) and they came out all messed up. I then clicked (I have auto sync) I clicked on to deselect my playlists and then re-synced them and now it's all good, better now too.

11. robPOD macrumors 6502

Wow only 4 hours Im only half done and have at least 10 more hours to go :(

12. The Gelding macrumors newbie

There seems to be a vast inconsistency with the sync speeds of these things, mine syncs from empty to full in about an hour maybe a touch more, yet some peoples are taking far far longer, very weird!

13. configer macrumors newbie

set album directly on files on ipod touch helps

I guess it's due to file permissions on your local drive. Set that on ipod-touch files solves the problem. I used to have several albums messed up and are all fixed in this way

The cons is the update being slow. There is also a lag on sync... ipod touch.

Apple has ruined this great product by adding too heavy lock on it. They seems to forget the lesson they had 20 years ago.

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I just went into iTunes, selected all the items in the album at once (by holding shift) and went into Get Info. Then I selected the album art and it fixed it all.

15. pauld macrumors regular

for maybe 1/5th of what's on there, mine is showing up the artwork for other albums that are in my library!?!

16. hitchy88 macrumors newbie

same problem here

yeah i also am having the same problems with my ipod touch.

nstead of showing artwork it will show a black screen, mix up completely non related albums and will not take the artwork in when syncing (manually).
    has any solutions been found to these problems that are not already shown on this page coz they dont seem to be working for me

17. Bscott macrumors newbie

Cover art and playlist order issues

After a full restore, all song orders and art is correct. After syncing anything else to the touch, song orders and cover art is randomy wrong or missing. Seems to be an issue with anything not purchased on itunes. Any ideas anyone?

18. jhounshell macrumors newbie

Same problem brand new iPod Classic

I too spent hours manually pasting album art into the "get info" of songs that I did not download album art from apple—mainly I have a unique collection of music with hard to find album art. Before I even plugged in the iPod, I went though and cleaned up the songs that had multiple displays of album art and did some more searching and manually pasting art to more songs.

All in all, I got my iMac's iTunes looking top notch, all songs had the right album art (custom and apple downloaded) with no mulitple album displays, BUT when I auto synced the new iPod classic for the first time I noticed the same problem some of you have:

NONE of my custom entered album art appears in cover flow. I plugged it in again and then ejected it and some of my custom art appeared as I scrolled though the iPod cover flow, but I had multiples displaying when multiples were not displaying in my iMac iTunes.

I'll keep trying to sync it. Is it a matter of time? Or is this still an unavoidable fiasco?

19. ZeroGFrame macrumors newbie

Just to chime in, I've been having the same problem. And it's inconsistent within albums, too. I've purchased songs online (through iTunes) and they show fine in iTunes, but either a black image or the generic white with notes on the iPod Touch. For some CDs I ripped myself, the album artwork seems to randomly display correctly or not from song to song. I've tried everything everyone has suggested here, and nothing seems to consistently fix the problem.

For a nifty little feature of the Touch that I didn't think 'd really care about, it's become an awful nuisance...

20. Moocher macrumors regular

album art

I had the same problem. Doing a restore fixed it.

Mooch

21. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Why don't you just not do that and just ignore coverflow. Its cool... but its not required to have a great time.

22. crybabybob macrumors newbie

I've been having basically all the same problems. Mine will ADD random artwork to songs that I haven't even put cover art on. AND it's not even the right album. I found for the CDs that have the same name (like Greatest Hits) that all the songs, no matter who they are by, will have the same art work in coverflow. I just added the artist to the end (ex. Greatest Hits: RHCP). Mine will also change covers (like just about everyone else's). I figured it would be for the artists that iTunes did not recognize, but that is not the case because it changed the artwork for ONE of my four Linkin Park albums to the string quartet tribute to Linkin Park, and it obviously has linkin park in itunes. Has anyonw figured out how to fix this without taking everything off teh ipod and starting over? Also, I have some artists that iTunes does not recognize so I can't use the find album artwork tool
    sorry for the long semi-ranting post

23. iTouchLover macrumors member

If you guys haven't figured it out by now, try clearing all the music off your iPod and then putting all the songs on again with the album cover. Make sure ALL the songs have the cover. For example; if you have 'Live Your Life' by T.I. and 'Whatever You Like' under the same album, but one is missing the album cover, it'll appear on the iPod blank. Happened to me with Deeper Then Rap.