Spicer and Crew Spin Facebook Metrics - Obsessed with Audience Size

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 30, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Desperation....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-audience-size-again/?utm_term=.d3b800c6ec91

We kicked off Saturday by launching the weekly address, which debuted for the first time on Facebook Live,” he said. “Nearly 11 million people were reached by the address online. Over 1.1 million people engaged with the post via comments, likes and other interactions. As of this morning, the video had been viewed almost 5 million times.”

A bit of context: Facebook’s viewership totals are notoriously inflated. If you scroll through one of Trump’s Facebook pages, a video of his address will begin to play automatically. Unless you stop the seven-minute clip within three seconds, you will count as a viewer. By way of comparison, YouTube counts viewers who watch for at least 30 seconds.

On Trump’s two Facebook accounts, comments on the address totaled about 74,000 and likes totaled roughly 194,000 when Spicer addressed the media. That leaves 832,000 “other interactions.” Whatever that means.

We know what it means.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sounds like a problem with Facebook and YouTube.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No - sounds like someone trying to act more popular than they are. Par of the course. And with that many interactions that are not "likes" - it's clear he's not reporting on the overwhelming negative response to the video.

Desperate.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Because online vote brigading isn't a thing. I'm sure both Facebook and YouTube has the ability to measure in depth metrics.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Just stop. Spicer either has no idea how to correctly report Facebook metrics or he's spinning and lying through omission. Plain and simple. I'm not even trying to spin. It's right there. Forget views:

Over 1.1 million people engaged with the post via comments, likes and other interactions.
    On Trump’s two Facebook accounts, comments on the address totaled about 74,000 and likes totaled roughly 194,000 when Spicer addressed the media.

Do the math. "Other interactions." Are you on facebook? Do you know what those other interactions may be?

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Nope. Dumped FaceBook years ago. All I am saying is that there's two easy ways for the truth to come out. Data from FB and YT can be released. Or we can believe an article that was written out of spite, or a Presidential mouthpiece that was firing his mouth out of spite. TRD is real.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Or you can just go onto facebook and look at the metrics yourself. He's not spouting demographics from some secret source.

Since you don't use Facebook - it's probably best if you remove yourself from the conversation because by definition, you're ignorant on the subject. And I'm not using that as an insult. I am stating you have no frame of reference not can you speak to what you can and can't measure.

Facts are facts. The "wrapper" around the article might be "angry" - but the facts are still the facts.

If by TRD you mean Trump Reality Distortion - I agree

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You presented the article. Then say more sources are needed. Yep. I'm ignorant on FB(I actually understand the definition we have skools and collages in fly over kountry:eek:)
    From a linked article in the article you sourced.
    "While Facebook said it was measuring the total time people spent watching a video divided by the number who played it, the firm found out that it was actually only logging the people who had viewed a video for three seconds or more. That could have inflated viewing numbers by as much as 60 to 80 percent, according to a Thursday report from the Wall Street Journal. And while Facebook says that it did not affect billing for those advertisers, the Journal reported that some ad buyers are very upset, having based their purchasing decisions on the network's high numbers."

"In a company statement, Facebook said: "We recently discovered an error in the way we calculate one of our video metrics. This error has been fixed, it did not impact billing, and we have notified our partners both through our product dashboards and via sales and publisher outreach. We also renamed the metric to make it clearer what we measure. This metric is one of many our partners use to assess their video campaigns.”"

Which brings it right back to my point. At the very least FB could release actual watched times, I'm sure YT could as well. If anything that could be used to shut Trump up.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I never said more sources are necc? I also wasn't even fixating on the views. I was talking about engagements.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The more Trump wastes his time trying to prove to everyone his dick isn't a tiny chode, the less time he spends screwing up the country. Everyone should do everything they can to constantly be pressing Trump's buttons nonstop, for patriotism.

I would donate to a super pac that does nothing but buys ad-time on the cable channels Trump watches constantly reminding him he lost the popular vote and that his crowd size was smaller.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No you claimed that I was ignorant on FB, which admittedly I am seeing how I don't use it. So I used the source materials you provided to come with an opinion. You don't have to like the opinion but it's an opinion just like the source you provided that included another source with statements from FB that I used to base my argument.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2017 ---
    He's a good multi-tasker.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

What's your opinion? A variance of the facts? The facts are pretty black and white. Spicer tried to spin the metrics of Trump's video on Facebook to imply that it was received positively. Results show otherwise. And FB inflating or not - Spicer, his team and anyone who has done any work within social media knows that "views" is sketchy at best.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My opinion to shut up both the people that can't be bothered to write an actual informed article, and the Spicers of the world is that FB and YT could release the actual viewer numbers showing the time spent watching. Otherwise any interaction is meaningless since it doesn't take viewing of the full video at least on YT to upvote/downvote/comment on the video.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You're losing me because once again, I am not focusing on views or viewing length. Is there a comprehension problem? I ask sincerely.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What is your point? "Interactions?"

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Posts 3, 5, and 9. Yes. INTERACTIONS.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I wonder if they sit around the restroom comparing who's got a bigger more impressive.....hand. :D

I must say I have never seen an administration so obsessed with the size of things. But then as the saying goes, "it all comes down from the top".

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Okay. My statement without viewing metrics such as time watched. Those interactions are meaningless. How can you honestly say you agree(upvote) or disagree(downvote) with subject matter covered in a video if you do not watch the video?

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Here's the real point. Who the f cares? Only Trump. No other politician would boast about these type of metrics. But Trump has a very frail ego and wants it to look like he's the most popular president ever. It's pathetic.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well apparently not only does Trump et al, but the person that is responsible for the article being written, and the one responsible for it being shared. :D

21. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

means zero to me. I don't care if anyone watches. He shouldn't either as it's their loss. He should just keep his heads down on policy and move forward. Stop worrying so much about the emotional flowers in the country.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Donald Trump IS one of the emotional flowers in the country. He just cannot handle it unless he has the biggest.....whatever.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He is but at least he's the flower running the show.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

For now. I hope he realizes that all flowers wilt eventually.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. It's only a topic because Spicer made it one. I don't care what the metrics are. I cats that Trump is fixated on them. Pathetic.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2017 ---
    Oh yeah - that bodes well long term.