Spicer Sets up Lemonade Stand in UK - Gets Fined

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 21, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/5-year-old-fined-setting-lemonade-stand-n785271

(spoiler: the fine was cancelled)

LONDON — A 5-year-old girl was slapped with a nearly $200 fine for setting up a lemonade stand on the street near her home in East London.

The girl was happily selling small cups of lemonade for 65 cents and large ones for $1.30 to people streaming by to attend a music festival in a nearby Victoria Park when four local law enforcement officers stormed up to her table, according to her father, Andre Spicer.

One officer switched on a portable camera attached to his uniform and then proceeded to read a lengthy statement essentially telling the young girl she would be fined $195 (£150) because she didn’t have a trading permit, according to an account of the events Spicer wrote for The Telegraph.

The girl burst into tears, asking her father again and again, “Have I done a bad thing?”

The pair packed up their jugs of lemonade and walked home, with the young girl sobbing the whole way, according to her dad.

Spicer said that the whole situation left his daughter shaken and afraid.

"I said maybe we can apply for the right permit and do it again at some stage. And she said, ‘That’s a bit scary,’” he told NBC’s News’ British partner ITV News. The local authorities have since cancelled the fine and apologized.

“We are very sorry that this has happened,” a spokesperson for the local authorities told NBC News’ British partner ITV News. "We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense, and to use their powers sensibly. This clearly did not happen.

“The fine will be canceled immediately and we have contacted Professor Spicer and his daughter to apologise.”

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

See why we don't want to do things the way you do in Europe.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

In some parts of the UK it would be fine. London has ordinances against unlicensed trading to prevent the sort of ad-hoc markets we get here in Spain from springing up all over the place.

And you'll notice from that statement that Spain is in Europe.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Texas

sell flowers to support yourself?

sell cigarettes ?

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Way to bring the thread down

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

your thread was supposed to be "uplifting"?????? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The little girl's name was "Spicer" - a name she shares with the recently unemployed Trump White House spokesman.

And yes: The cops in the US do crack down on unlicensed vendors. The depressing part of that is that rather than a £150 fine (which is later cancelled) - they get beaten or choked to death.

Kind of a downer.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It was actually supposed to get a smile or smirk given Spicer's prominence in the news today

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Can't we just have one thread where we bash on Europe? :D
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    This joke was funny. Good work. Don't worry about @jkcerda, the joke went over his head.:eek:

12. noisycats, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Thanks. I'll take the .500 batting average today...

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well there is a passing resemblance :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. chown33 macrumors 604

Now there's an understatement.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am a midget so it's not hard for things to go over my head :p

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you got me. I knew it couldn't possibly be the same person, but I had to click on it anyway.

You've got a great future writing those "one easy trick" or "you wouldn't believe what _____ looks like now!" ads.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Who says I don't do that now? ;)

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

In fairness to the police you do need the proper license to sell food and drink to the public. It has the meet food standard approval etc. Loopholes are at fates where home baked goods are sold. Selling on the street outside a festival undercuts the vendors hence why they get closed down.

The police however were overkill and could have just shut the stall down. Trying to fine the father was a bit ridiculous and unusual I would say. It's not like this would happen in every circumstance.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Yeah. You know in the (rare) circumstances I deal with Police I deal with them as people first-and-foremost. I would expect that the Police would do the same in this instance...sadly, no.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Glad it didn't happen in America, they'd have shot the kid. Poor lamb though. I do wonder about regional laws because this hasn't happened round my way. Hmm.

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It's done differently in Amerika!

For starters, in Amerika, the Street Cops don't turn on their body cameras! And secondlies, the American cops would taser the little 5 year old girl because she's a criminal selling a contraband item (lemonade).

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Are you resorting to hook titles? :p The obvious assumed Spicer would be our own dear retired Trump mouthpiece. ;)

Although I understand permit requirements, there should be no issue with a child selling lemonade. I guess times have changed.