Spigen Neo Hybrid iPhone 5 - Anyone followup after extended use?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sculder, Aug 28, 2013.

1. sculder macrumors newbie

I've read all the reviews about the Spigen Neo Hybrid, but I wanted to know after extended use, how did the case hold up?

I had heard the TPU on the back scratches easily, and there was potential for the lightning port on the plastic frame to snap after a long period of use.

I just wanted to hear testament and even pics from the long-time owners.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Been using mine since the end of July.

Plastic band has held up very well. Only imperfections are tiny nicks from impact with sharp edges. Seems very unlikely for the plastic around the lightning port to break.

TPU is in poor condition. Picks up scratches and scrapes that can't be removed. Picks up oils from your fingers that are extremely difficult to clean (if it's even cleanable).

Not much else to say as far as how it's holding up. Structurally, everything is perfect. Aesthetically, the back is disgusting.

3. sculder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! I was debating on this or the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal bumper. I think I'll go that route or Slim Armor S. Don't think I could stand the scratched up/nasty back.

4. jdecosta macrumors member

+1, same issues with mine.

5. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

The back of the Slim Armor scratches as easily. One day of use.

I currently like the EX Slim bumper.

6. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I've had mine for only a week, but it hasn't scuffed or scratched on the TPU at all. Nor does it pick up fingerprints.

Maybe they have already changed the material to fix these issues (?)

IDK, only time will tell.

I had the original Slim Armor, but stopped using it because it scratched too easily and the lightning port hole was way too small for the Apple Lightning/30-pin adapter; but I'm really liking this case - it's nice and thin, fits well, the buttons are nice and "clicky" and the Apple adapter fits!.

7. sculder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the responses.

I only wish the EX Slim Metal had metallic-ish looking buttons. I do believe that would be the perfect combination (what drew me to the Neo Hybrid first and foremost).

Any scratches on the Slim Armor "S" version? I haven't heard many complaints on the plastic scratching since they changed the finish.

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I promise you that you don't what these "metalized buttons". I'd prefer TPU buttons over this crap. The buttons on the Neo Hybrid rattle! :mad:

The metalized buttons are probably my least favorite part of my case, but I'd still say this case is the best on the market as far as thin all-around protection goes.

9. MalusSylvestris macrumors member

Just a bump on this case. I've had it for three weeks now and it still looks flawless. No scratches on the back. If you have greasy or sweaty hands then you can leave fingerprints on the TPU but they wipe off easily.

Definitely the best case I've ever had.

10. Knighthammer macrumors newbie

I really like this case - just recently got it, but I discovered today that I can't use my Sennheiser's due to the headphone cut out - very irritated by that.

11. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Pictures?

12. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Absolutely love this case. I ordered this and the Apple leather case at the same time. This one came next day, but I think I'll be returning my apple case once I get it.

Buttons respond great, back doesn't gather finger prints, and looks gorgeous. Only downside is the mute switch you have to dig for, but that's almost every case.

Super easy to take on and off too. Provides a nice lip for a lay on the table design, but not too much as to over power the front.

Can't wait to get my Glas.tR Nano Slim and use it with this. Spigen is my favorite case maker hands down.

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Magic eraser works great on oils.

14. sucka free macrumors member

Had the same issue with the griffin reveal
    After about a week the back was scratched to hell and looked horrible

15. MalusSylvestris macrumors member

The Griffin Reveal is a horrible case - not only does it look terrible but it also scratches the back of the phone. I stopped using mine after two or three weeks but my phone was already scratched a bit on the back.

See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16130198

16. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

17. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

The Spigen website is a disaster. There is no telephone number to reach out to them and they don't send confirmation emails despite the fact that they say items are available to ship next day. If you want to buy one of these seek out a third-party. A case I ordered last week has not yet shipped, there are hundreds of people complaining on Twitter and other social sites.

BJ

18. MalusSylvestris macrumors member

I bought mine from Amazon and it arrived pretty quick.

19. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Give me a little time. Haha. Been busy with school and don't remember to pull it out of my drawer while I'm in my dorm.

I use a Spigen Ultra Fit now if you're wondering. I've realized that I never drop my phone, so I decided to go the next step thinner. If anybody else feels the same, I highly recommend the Ultra Fit.

20. NovemberWhiskey, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

This is the best case I have used on the iPhone, and I have used them ALL. I have had it on since they released the case (not sure about the exact date, but I ordered as soon as it was available on Amazon) and it came priority mail 2 days later. The case held up extremely well imo. Don't really understand the criticism, but I will adress them:

1. Rattling: I am an extremely OCD person and return products for the smallest problems. Do the buttons on this case "rattle"? No. Do they make a noise if you tap them trying to make a noise, or if you shake your phone violently? Yes. The buttons are hard plastic with a metal coating on the ext, and will make a noise if you do the aforementioned since they are not TPU and have no padding underneath (provides for EXCELLENT tactile feedback btw). The rattling camera on my iphone 3GS bothered me a lot, and this never bothers me. I use my phone every day, and it never "rattles" unless I intentionally try to make noises with the buttons. No sounds but a dampened woosh if I place the phone on a table.

2. Scratches on the back and grease: The back is not any more prone to scratches or grease than any other phone. However, I feel that since the material is a matte finish with a softer finish, it may show grease a SLIGHTLY more than anything similarly constructed and colored. Moreso than the Belkin Candy Sheer, but not by much. AGAIN: NEVER bothers me in day-to-day use. You have to hold it up to a light and at an angle, and if you are doing this, I don't know what is wrong with you. I lay my phone flat on its back when not in my hand, and I never notice the back. Any phone is prone to scratches, including the Candy Shell by Speck. That thing was a disaster after a month, and this phone has maybe a hairline scratch if at that. If you clean it with alcohol, it goes away.

3. Everything else: held up VERY well. No complaints, and looks like new. No problems from Spigen's end on construction.

I would buy it again, and again. Still haven't seen anything close to it in terms of fit, finish, button feedback, looks, quality, (no loose edges), etc. The new Apple case is tempting, but the Spigen still looks better imo (especially the metallic buttons vs. teh leather dimples).

If anyone has problems getting any, I still have 2-3 left. I am keeping one as a spare for myself. PM for details. (No, I am not a professional retailer. Just trying to help out if there is a problem with Spigen). Otherwise I am keeping these for family and friends.

*Sorry if the pics aren't detailed enough. But that is pretty much how it looks up close in real life. I only have my GF's Note II, and I used HDR mode. Couldn't find a macro.

Attached Files:

21. Warcake macrumors regular

I had mine for maybe 3-4 months, and the laquer or whatever coating on the band started to peel, sort of like when you peel glue off your hands. other than that, it held up well. Ill try to post pics if I can find it since I ditched it a few weeks ago already.

22. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Thanks. Is there a warranty on these cases?

----------

Awesome review. Thanks!

23. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I tried one on my 5s but had terrible problems with the sleep button. The power and volume buttons were too sensitive.
    There are some small rectangles under the power and volume that are slightly lifted. You may need to take a knife to cut them out.
    Read the reviews on amazon before you buy

24. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Here ya go. These were taken after wiping down the back with warm water to get the oil off. I've found that that's the easiest way to get the oil stains out. Notice the rub marks on the chamfer edges.

All in all, I'd still recommend this case and give it the Best Case Award for its form factor. I just don't like how the back gets all banged up and the crappy plastic buttons.

Attached Files:

25. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

That's typical wear on smooth TPU. If you want something more durable get a Magpul case. At least the case did its job, your phone should look pristine :)