Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hi all

I spilled a little bit of water on my cMBP keyboard (like 2 or 3 drops maximum). I know I did something stupid. My machine didn't turn off. I shut it down immediatly and unplugged all cables, dried the bits that were next to the keys, and then looked it up online and found out that it's better to unplug the battery so I did that too. Now it's flipped upside down on 2 piles of books (so that the whole keyboard is not covered and air is available).

All other thing that I found online are for people who spilled like a cup (like putting it in rice, which is not logical anyway because rice is full of dust).

I removed 3 keys from the keyboard and there was barley anything, and when I tried to dry what I saw (hardly noticable) the tissue was almost still dry like if I didn't put it on anything.

Is there anything I could do? How likely is my machine to work? When should I test it again?

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Leave it 48 hours in an airing cupboard or by a radiator then give it a whirl, sounds like youve done what you can and the spill doesnt sound that bad.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Leave it 48 hours in an airing cupboard or by a radiator then give it a whirl, sounds like youve done what you can and the spill doesnt sound that bad.

We don't have an airing cupboard nor a radiator. I live in the Middle East. It's always hot here.

I left it with the AC on swing and aiming at it (about 8 feet away).

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Weird that only 2-3 drops would damage anything. I've taken apart my MacBook before, and I know that the keyboard is a relatively effective insulating layer between the top of the computer and the internal components. Any water spillage would have to be significant enough to leak through or around the keyboard.

Anyway, If you powered off the computer and disconnected the internal battery connector (not the AC power adapter), you've basically done everything you can. Well, unless you want to disassemble the machine - I'm speaking from experience and can tell you that from assembled to completely disassembled to reassembled takes about 2 hours, depending on your level of mechanical aptitude.

If you disassemble (carefully, don't want to void that warranty), you can verify there isn't any residual water on the components and ensure a complete dry before powering the machine back on. Many components are isolated from openings in the case and may not be dried by mere exposure to air while assembled.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
We don't have an airing cupboard nor a radiator. I live in the Middle East. It's always hot here.

I left it with the AC on swing and aiming at it (about 8 feet away).

I would not leave it near the AC because there is always a lot of moisture (water) near the AC

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Weird that only 2-3 drops would damage anything. I've taken apart my MacBook before, and I know that the keyboard is a relatively effective insulating layer between the top of the computer and the internal components. Any water spillage would have to be significant enough to leak through or around the keyboard.

Anyway, If you powered off the computer and disconnected the internal battery connector (not the AC power adapter), you've basically done everything you can. Well, unless you want to disassemble the machine - I'm speaking from experience and can tell you that from assembled to completely disassembled to reassembled takes about 2 hours, depending on your level of mechanical aptitude.

If you disassemble (carefully, don't want to void that warranty), you can verify there isn't any residual water on the components and ensure a complete dry before powering the machine back on. Many components are isolated from openings in the case and may not be dried by mere exposure to air while assembled.

Thanks. After reading this I reconnected the battery and booted up my mac and its working great. The keyboard is functioning fine and the water seemed to be dried up under the keys.

I'll leave the lid opened overnight to make sure that everything fully dries.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Yeah, based on what he's said in comments I think he means 2-3 drops got THROUGH the keyboard. Regardless of what you meant, you've done all you can in this situation to resolve the problem. The spill wasn't substantial enough to do damage, you've confirmed this also by saying it works fine. And you've dried it quite a bit. So you're good to go :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.