Spilled a little bit of coke in my mbp!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by curse354, Sep 15, 2011.

1. curse354 macrumors newbie

I was having lunch with a friend (I wasnt even eating...), and he knocked over his cup of coke on the table. My mbp was a decent distance away, but still close enough to get a little bit of the liquid.

The main two things I'm worried about getting affected is the power and the plug right next to the power. The computer didnt turn off or anything (it was asleep during the spill; i opened right after that to see if it was okay), and it charges fine. But if something is wrong with it, I'd like to know now rather than later so that I can ask him for some of the repair costs. It was in a hardcover case (incase), though that doesnt make much of a difference probably.

Its a well taken care of mbp, and I cant believe this even happened. I know it was my fault (partially), and I always have my sleeve on it, except today.

2. cfII macrumors regular

3. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Let me get this straight, the computer lid was closed AND you had a hard case on it? You're worried about the power connector, did the liquid seep in there? If not, then you're fine.

Also, if he was eating and you put your laptop on the table and he accidentally knocked his drink over, how, exactly, is he responsible for repairs? Are you ready to lose a friend?

4. curse354 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if the liquid went in there or not, but i did see a drop of liquid in the outlet next to the power.

And the laptop was on my side of the table and he saw it on there. I know it was my fault for having it on the table (it was just for a minute too :( ), but it was his fault for knocking the drink over.

5. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Inside the connector or next to it?

Honestly, I think you're overreacting. Your computer sounds fine.

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

do you keep the network port covered up? you need to be careful as wasps can fly in there

7. anhhungcodoc macrumors newbie

u r an ass if u gonna ask him for the repair cost later on. however, it sound like u r being paranoid. chill out

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yeah but common sense would be why have a computer or any electronical device sitting on a dining table where something can eb spilled on it....sounds like your fault bro. I wouldnt blame my friend at all if this happend, i'd kick myself for being the ass who put my shiny MB on a table with food.

9. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

How would he be an ass if he asked his friend to repair damages that were caused by the actions he made? I also see the owner partially responsible since he had his laptop out around drinks in the first place.

50/50

10. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Because it was an accident. OP's friend was eating, OP put his laptop on the table. Seems simple enough to me.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Now why would you have a liquid near your Mac?
    I would never do that!

12. curse354 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah of course if it was damaged I couldnt ask him to pay for all of it; that would totally be an ass move!

Now it was my fault for having it on the table while people were eating, but I didnt have much of a choice (I didnt have a bag, so it should've been on my lap, but i was going to go in a few minutes so i just put it on the table). But i've never seen anyone knock over those cups before either (they're heavy cups...), so there was that too)

I wasnt even thinking 50:50, i would've said maybe 25:75 (75 on me).

But thats beside the point. In the case that sugar did get inside my computer (through the port where i plugin my power), what effect would it have? Should I be doing anything special to avoid damage?

13. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Should be 100% on you. You were at an eating table - not the place for electronics with the business of "lunch" at hand.

You're screwed. Sugar can take time to erode circuitry.

14. curse354 thread starter macrumors newbie

Where am I supposed to put my laptop then? On the freaking floor?

15. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

On a surface where other people aren't putting their liquids.

Next question please.

16. curse354 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, well unfortunately there wasnt a surface to put it where it would've been safe. Unlike you, I dont have a car I can run back to, a locker to stash it in. My room is a 15 minute walk away.Sorry for not living a spoiled life.

17. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I agree with him. Are you ready to lose a friend? I've seen Plenty of Judge Judy Shows, Few of them about Damages/Computer damages, Always results in loss of a friend.

Honestly, Putting it on a table isn't bad. I always eat/drink while on my MBP. Accidents happen. Which is why I have an accidental warrenty.

18. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Hung from your chair in a back pack/messenger bag where all macs belong when not being used in public.

Keep 'em coming.

Dude. I'm just jerking your chain. :D But I do think in all seriousness that you need to protect that fine piece of precision machinery. Unlike Dell owners, we actually care about our notebooks because they cost a freaking fortune and we need 'em to last long and look good too. :)

Don't sweat the spill and don't hang your buddy for a common accident that happens a gazillion times a day around the world.

Live and learn.

19. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Your computer will be fine, but if you're really paranoid, grab a philips head screwdriver and take off the bottom plate to inspect for internal liquid damage. If you see any liquid, rub it off with a Q-Tip + rubbing alcohol immediately, and it won't corrode anything.

Just to reassure you, I spilled coke right onto my mac's keyboard (twice) & into the LCD years ago, and it's been perfectly fine since. Don't sweat it.

20. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Don't involve your friend. Otherwise, next year, when the laptop is obsolete (only to Macrumors members:p), you will not have your friend and you will hate your laptop. This is how some Mac fans turned to windows.;)

21. abc123 macrumors 6502

I spilled about 200ml of chocolate milk into my MBP (over the keyboard and speakers) about 5 years ago when it was only a month old. I turned it off immediately, inverted it and left it to dry for 24 hours. When I turned it back on it ran fine, though had a bit of a sour smell for a while.

A couple of years later it needed some work done under applecare (afaik unrelated to the spill) and the guys I took it to didn't mention any liquid damage at all and did all repairs under warranty.

Now it is almost 5 years later and I'm only just looking at upgrading now.

Truth be told, I have since spilled much smaller amounts of water on the computer in separate incidents which have resulted in a couple of important function keys no longer working. The main reason I'm looking to upgrade is that I no longer have a working tab or ctrl key. I may have been very lucky with the milk incident.

22. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

ahahaha classic