Spilled Juice on Macbook, Now keyboard and trackpad "click" are sticky

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Martron, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Martron macrumors regular

Hey all, I posted here before about spilling juice on my macbook. Luckily it's still working weeks after the spill, but now the keys and the trackpad "click" or whatever its called are sticky. It's not bad enough that it's not working, but more a nuisance. Is there any way I can clean this w/o voiding the warranty? I'm not seven sure if I can take the keyboard off or anything and I'm definitely not sure about the trackpad. I have a blackbook from early 2007 btw. Thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Take a look on www.ifixit.com and go over the instructions for disassembling the keyboard trackpad unit. You might even want to think about getting a new one. Apple is not going to repair it or replace it under warranty because of the spill.

Regards.

3. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for the tip. If I take the case off will it automatically void the warranty as well? Also, would it be possible to take it off and just clean it? How easy is it to take off? I'm not a wiz with hardware, but I feel comfortable enought to do it. I just don't know how "risky" this is after this has happened. I don't wanna make anything worse.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You are in a tough spot. You have no warranty if they ever see liquid damage and your machine is toast if any of that sticky mess ever gets into the electronic components beneath the keyboard, trackpad. If you are nervous taking it apart, find a friend who does this sort of thing and do it together.

You are very blessed this did not kill your Mac straight away.

Best of luck,

5. mademan118 macrumors regular

it really depends on how much liquid was spilled on the laptop and what you did immediately after it spilled. I got a little bit of beer on mine, flipped it over right away, and let it dried. I opened it up (didn't unplug the top case just looked) and there wasn't any liquid in there.

As far as your keys, search for a post in regards to removing the keys from the keyboard. It explains how to pry off the keys without breaking them, and how to put them back on. The keys on the MacBook are the same as the power book and iBook keys. Once off clean them really well and use a Q-tip to clean the keyboard part, And everything should be okay.

6. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

thanks everyone. I know how lucky I am...I was certain it was done for. I just took out the battery and let it dry for about 3 or 4 days. Suddenly it was working! I'll take your guys' instructions. I don't know if there's a possiblity liquid could still get into the computer cause its been a while since this happened. Maybe I'll start with the keys and go from there. Like I said, not an immediate situation, but its def kinda annoying.