Spilled Soda Inside Macbook, Warranty Voided: Can I Still Get It Fixed 4 Free?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Sep 21, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Here's my situation:

I bought my white Macbook December 2006.

In July of 2007 I let a friend borrow my Macbook while we were living in Japan. The screen began flickering shortly after so I took the Mac to the Apple store back home here in California. Upon receiving the Macbook back I was told they discovered soda inside of the Macbook on the side where all the connectors are at; very close to the Magsafe. They were cool enough to still replace my keyboard which had a crack on it, since they considered that to be a cosmetic issue so i'm still under AppleCare warranty there.

Ever since that summer of 2007 I've taken my Macbook in for a keyboard replacement about 3 times. They say it's all good since the soda spill doesn't affect it in any way. But as for my screen flickering, it MIGHT be caused by the soda spill and because of it, my warranty is voided there.

They charge $800 for them to replace and repair my entire Macbook they say, from a screen replacement, soda removal and change of parts...etc, but $800 is too much. Even with AppleCare!

So I haven't done anything about it. Last time I took my Mac to the Apple Store was a few months ago, but remember being told that if I take my Macbook to an authorized Apple Reseller/Repair place and if they got rid of the soda spill and determined if the soda was indeed the cause or not, my appleCare warranty would be un-voided and i'd be set....but even taking it to one of these guys could be costly for a college student.

The reason I ask today is cause the screen still flickers but the whole image at any given time will shake. Literally the image will twitch like it's having a seizure.

Nevertheless, I'm a little lost on what I can do. This is where I ask for advice. Thanks!

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not much you can do besides paying for the repairs, buying a new one, buying a refurb, or praying and hoping that the new Macs are drastically cut in price which I highly doubt. Your "friend" should pay for it since they messed it up. A good friend would of told you when it happened though.

As you already know, Apple doesn't cover accidental damage even with Applecare.

3. herman238 macrumors member

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Warranty void ≠ Free repair

But why didn't you confront your "friend?"

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

well i did..but for the sake of the 1st post i didnt state that this was a friend i met in japan. i lived w/ a bunch of people and only let him borrow it for one night. which i totally regret...i'll never let anyone borrow my computer without me being there ever again...

6. pooryou macrumors 65816

Consider it an expensive lesson, or force the 'friend' to pay for it.

7. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

One option you might look into, since your warranty is technically void, is to cancel your Applecare protection plan and receive a prorated refund. Cut your losses and move on. $800 is a lot of money to spend to fix a machine that probably isn't quite worth $800 on the used market.

You might also try shopping around at independent service centers to see if you could find a better deal.

9. Rondue macrumors regular

Mega FAIL

Letting your "friend" even touch your macbook is bad enough but letting him use it while you are in a different country = MEGA FAIL.